News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Delay chips for Total Recall

Started by hamerman55, May 03, 2019, 09:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamerman55

I was reviewing the instructions for the Total Recall leading to a parts purchase, and wondered what the pros and cons of the two MN3005 chips vs four MN3008 chips. If the delay time is the same, I feel like the four chip version must have some benefits or madbeans wouldn't have the option for four chips via the daughter board. Am I missing something?

alanp

At one point, MN3008 were easier to get your mitts on (before XVIVE released the XVIVE3005.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

Yep, when the TR was a hot new board, a 3005 would run you $50+ a chip, if you could find them at all.

Now, thanks to xvive, they're honestly cheaper than 3008's with no real discernible difference in audio quality

hamerman55

Thanks for replying! That makes sense. If they were that much, then it I can understand why the daughter board was cost effective. The MN3005 chips are now pretty much the same price. I don't need the daughterboard and have the simpler build.

LaceSensor

Also, biasing the four MN3008s is a more laborious job than biasing two MN3005s

Couple that with the more BBD devices, the greater the chance of signal-to-noise type issues, the MN3005 was always preferable when you take into account the other factors mentioned, save only for price/availability.