News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ibanez UE400 style footswitch. How to make something similar

Started by Bassman, May 04, 2019, 05:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassman

So back in the day when I was younger and cooler than I am now and was gigging alot I had an old Ibanez UE400 multi effect. I liked that it was rack mountable and was quick to setup and tear down every gig. It only had 4 effects but as a bass player that was 3 too many most of the time.

I want to build something similar with more personalized effects installed but can't wrap my head around how to wire up the foot switch. What type of plug should I used for this and what wires would need to be going to and from the switches? Power/in/out and ground? I'm shooting for maybe 5 effects mostly modulating types and might try chaining them to rotary switches to swap their order somehow the same way this unit lets you. Still in the day dreaming phase but any help or ideas are very welcome. Thanks

Bassman

I found a couple schematics for the Ibanez ue400 "insta patch" switching circuit.  I kinda follow what is happening but I am not very familiar with rotary switch wiring.  Can someone help translate what is going on?

Also I'm pretty sure a 25 pin connector is what is needed for the foot switch?  I could get away with fewer if only power and ground were needed for each but in order to make them true bypasd I do also need signal in and out right?

Marshall Arts

Honestly, I would try a different approach. Use something with remote relays and a Midi send/receive. 5 Pins (including remote power) is all you need for that approach. Less pins: You chould get away with a standard TRS-connection, if you use the approach that TC Electronics uses for the Switch 6 (basically a resistor cascade within the switch, which is interpreted by a microprocessor within the remote device, but you dont get LEDs on the floor unit with that...).