News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD - incoming

Started by madbean, May 05, 2019, 06:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I've been pining for a Jazzmaster for a few years. For the longest time I was leaning toward selling a bunch of gear and getting a Suhr JM Pro (which looks and sounds killer, IMO). But, I honestly can't justify the price point of $2500. I started looking at other true Fender Jazzmasters and found a used 60th anniversary I liked a lot for a decent price. Still...quite expensive. In the end I went to Guitar Center and tried out a few (American, Mexican and Chinese versions) and decided the J Mascis was going to be good enough to satiate me. The one I demoed played quite well. I'm not a huge fan of cream colored guitars but it is growing on me. Anyway, I bought the shit from Sweetwater and it will be here soon. Pretty sure I made the right choice in terms of quality vs. price-point. I love to buy American guitars when I can but I don't expect this to be my #1 (that's my SG!)

The one I picked was the second lightest due to a slightly nicer figuring on the fretboard. Will update with my thoughts once I have it in hand. This will be my second Squier (other is a Bass vi).

jjjimi84

Nice grab! I have heard nothing but great things about the mascis model, congratulations and look forward to reading a mini review.

matmosphere

I bought a classic player JM a few years back and kinda wish I had the Mascis instead.  I've played a few and the necks both had a great feel to them. Plus J is just such a badass.

They are great guitars, and I think it speaks volumes that he plays them so much himself. I don't remember seeing him with his old fender signature much if ever, but since the white one came out I never see him playing anything else.

Morgan

I had one of those a couple of summers back. I liked the sound a lot but I never got used to the jumbo frets so I sold it off and built a partscaster. The partscaster cost me over twice as much and I think is just marginally better.

Hope you like it!
Moderator at BYOC, still sometimes futz around with Leila Vintage Electronics.

Old Blog...

gtr2

Enjoy!  I had one in my sweetwater cart a few times...maybe one day...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

dan.schumaker

My cousin has a Mascis and is super happy with it.  They few times I've played it, I've really liked it!

pickdropper

I've not played a J Mascis, but everybody I know how has really digs them, especially for the money.  I'll look forward to hearing your impressions of it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Nice. If it plays anything like the MIM one I have, it's simply amazing. Offset body takes a little getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Well, this is rather disappointing, esp considering I like the guitar overall. Have a close look.

sonnyboy27

Is the nut slotted poorly or does the neck get oddly thicker after the first fret?

madbean

Quote from: sonnyboy27 on May 07, 2019, 06:50:40 AM
Is the nut slotted poorly or does the neck get oddly thicker after the first fret?

I'm going with incorrect slotting. Not only is the low E wrong the distance between the high E and B is incorrect.

Govmnt_Lacky

Does the E maintain the same 'offness' all the way down to the bridge? In other words... is it a total wack job from nut to bridge??

Sorry. Can you return it?

jimilee

Yeah, the E breaks back to the left after the nut.
Are you going to fix it or return it?

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Timko

I assume most offsets are poorly slotted from Fender these days.  I own a Johnny Marr Jaguar (great guitar BTW, maybe the best under 2k guitar they make), and had to have the nut replaced due to spacing.  The high E would fly off the fretboard with any amount of pressure applied to it because it was cut so close to the edge of the board.  When I hard the guitar repainted by a local builder, I had the nut replaced.

madbean

Quote from: jimilee on May 07, 2019, 07:43:32 AM
Yeah, the E breaks back to the left after the nut.
Are you going to fix it or return it?

I'm leaning towards returning it. I could make a new nut for it but would rather not have to do that on a brand new guitar. I guess I'll have a talk with Sweetwater and see what they say. Only time I've ever had a problem with something I purchased from them.