News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Lover low volume

Started by Rustez, May 11, 2019, 04:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rustez

I'm building a Current Lover and am testing it after soldering everything. The volume level drops pretty severely when engaged. I have the volume trim is maxed. I am getting a very pleasant sounding effect out of it if I turn up the amp. When I biased the other trims I cannot get it to click or get noisy even at the most extreme settings and the feedback controles make very subtle changes to the sound. I checked the voltages and the ones that are off are pin 7 at IC5 =0, and pin 12=0 and pin 13=9 at IC 4. Im teally strugeling to find wich components are associated with those pins. (Im still learning) any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Rustez

This is just one side. I' testing to see if I can upload this pic. Had trouble thebfirst time.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Rustez

Woo hoo! I found the problem. I'm an idiot and put a 1uf cap in c3 instead of the 1n. Swapped it for right cap and all is well. This thing sounds amazing, cant wait to box it up!

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

gordo

Nice recovery. Always feel great when it's something simple to fix and you nail it. That first lighting it up when it works is a rush.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

alanp

Glad to hear you got it sorted :)

In future, though, I'd advise using IC sockets.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

zgrav

"In future, though, I'd advise using IC sockets."

Unless space is an issue on a crowded board, I usually use sockets for ICs.  Easier to swap out if you want to try a functionally-equivalent-but-not-identical chip, or if you just want to swap in a sub when troubleshooting to see if the problem is in the IC.  Of course a pedal that takes a lot of abuse could have ICs that are in sockets work themselves loose over time, and that could be a problem if it failed during a performance.

And I think if you were making a pedal for someone else you might prefer soldering the ICs in place to provide that extra durability.