News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2011 Current Lover noisy

Started by trickpony, May 16, 2019, 08:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trickpony

Hi there. I have an old 2011 Current lover that I put together but never used. Today I got it working again and it is really distorted. It is completely quiet when I am not playing but especially when strumming...distorted. I have adjusted the bias and clock but if the clock is too low I get no real flanging and as I bring it up it distorts, bringing it up a little more cleans it up a bit but then I start to oscilate weirdly. I saw something about r29 at 10k being too small (I have tried 9v and 12v supplies) and that I could increase it so that the clock volume would not go to low and cut out. Would this allow me to bring it up more without distorting?

Thanks,
Ben

alanp

What brand of BBD do you have? Bei Ling from Smallbear are good, but CoolAudio can be noisy, in my experience.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

trickpony

Oh, that could be it. I just checked and found I got a batch of 10 off ebay in 2012 marked Panasonic MN3007. The actual chip is marked with an embossed M and a 9N to the right

alanp

If they're genuine Panasonic (ebay is not wellknown for reliability in this area) then they should be very good for signal to noise ratio.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=26664.0

Check that post... sounds like a gain resistor somewhere may be wrong.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

trickpony

Ok. Just to follow up. I replaced a suspect trimpot for the clock and reset all the trims. I noticed that as the bias was turned that when I first heard a sweep there was alot of distortion and as I moved it further it cleaned up but would quickly do funky things with the sweep. Managed to get it pretty good and now it runs very clean and has no hum whatsoever. So the takeaway is follow the instructions for setting these and adjust slowly.

Also, the trimpot I replaced had the wrong value initially 250K vs 100K but I believe it is used as a voltage divider, so that shouldnt have been an issue right?