News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Shipping PCBs?

Started by brucer, May 16, 2019, 09:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucer

Hi All. 

I've decided to unload some of my backlog of unbuilt PCBs.  However, Canada Post has told me that I can't tape them inside greeting cards and ship to the US anymore.  Instead, I now have to ship them as parcels ...  Seems to me that would make the postage worth more than the circuit board ...

Before I post a list of circuits for sale in the forum, I'd appreciate it if folks could let me know how they're currently shipping PCBs and what I might be looking at for cost?  I'm not looking to make money, just recover some costs and move along boards that I likely won't get to.

Thanks!

alanp

I'm shipping boards with the cheapest small parcel option at the local Post Shop, it works out to maybe $15NZD per parcel, with no tracking.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

brucer

Quote from: alanp on May 16, 2019, 10:14:36 PM
I'm shipping boards with the cheapest small parcel option at the local Post Shop, it works out to maybe $15NZD per parcel, with no tracking.

Ouch!  Yes, that seems in line with what I saw at Canada Post.   :(

mjg

They still seem happy to let me send in a greeting card from Australia.  That's $1 domestic, $3 international.  I'm kinda expecting them to crack down on it soon, based on what's happened everywhere else. 

Willybomb

thesmokingman

the problem is on our end ... USPS is upcharging for items that won't machine sort ... I can't remember the exact specifications but basically if your letter isn't flexible from one end to the other then you get the upcharge.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

davent

Quote from: brucer on May 16, 2019, 09:50:35 PM
Hi All. 

I've decided to unload some of my backlog of unbuilt PCBs.  However, Canada Post has told me that I can't tape them inside greeting cards and ship to the US anymore.  Instead, I now have to ship them as parcels ...  Seems to me that would make the postage worth more than the circuit board ...

Before I post a list of circuits for sale in the forum, I'd appreciate it if folks could let me know how they're currently shipping PCBs and what I might be looking at for cost?  I'm not looking to make money, just recover some costs and move along boards that I likely won't get to.

Thanks!

Is this what you were told by Canada Post or did you mail something off and have it rejected/returned to sender? I'm in Canada too & for a brief period of time, mailman.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

brucer

Quote from: davent on May 17, 2019, 07:19:36 PM
Quote from: brucer on May 16, 2019, 09:50:35 PM
Hi All. 

Thanks!

Is this what you were told by Canada Post or did you mail something off and have it rejected/returned to sender? I'm in Canada too & for a brief period of time, mailman.
dave

Just what I was told davent.  Canada Post wouldn't accept a letter that wasn't fully flexible (because it contained a PCB) unless I sent it as a parcel (i.e. small packet, tracked packet, etc.).

Thanks for the replies all.  Going to post a whack of circuits in the buy & sell.  Hope the prices are reasonable.  Shipping will be $15 unless you're in Canada; doesn't mater how many or few PCBs you want.  Just hoping to break even on the shipping and recover a portion of outlay on boards. Let's see what happens!