News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Enclosures with 100% Straight/Vertical Sides?

Started by FuzzMonkey, May 19, 2019, 01:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FuzzMonkey

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anybody know of any readily available pedal enclosures i.e. 1590B/125B-style that have 100% straight/vertical sides?

EBK

You'd be looking at either extruded, folded, or machined enclosures to get those straight sides.  The 2% draft angle is a necessary feature of cast enclosures.

You will probably find some nice machined enclosures in 1590B sizes if you search for "box mod" enclosures.  That's a term that the DIY vaping people use.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

FuzzMonkey

Quote from: EBK on May 19, 2019, 05:55:30 PM
You'd be looking at either extruded, folded, or machined enclosures to get those straight sides.  The 2% draft angle is a necessary feature of cast enclosures.

You will probably find some nice machined enclosures in 1590B sizes if you search for "box mod" enclosures.  That's a term that the DIY vaping people use.

Thanks for the tip.

Aentons

Quote from: FuzzMonkey on May 19, 2019, 06:40:10 PM

Thanks for the tip.

I'm curious what you'd be using them for? I had the idea of using hollow bolts to join multiple enclosures together for multi-effect type thing. Let us know what you find?

FuzzMonkey

Quote from: Aentons on May 20, 2019, 05:27:17 AM

Thanks for the tip.

I'm curious what you'd be using them for? I had the idea of using hollow bolts to join multiple enclosures together for multi-effect type thing. Let us know what you find?

Just plain old curiosity really. I did find these at ModBoxMaker:

http://www.modmaker.co.uk/Enclosures/ModMakerBox-Enclosures?limit=100

Pretty expensive but the idea of using magnets rather than screw seems interesting.

somnif

Quote from: FuzzMonkey on May 22, 2019, 12:39:59 AM
Pretty expensive but the idea of using magnets rather than screw seems interesting.

Useful for those folks who fill every spare milimeter of those cases with high capacity lithium cells. Don't want a stray screw thread shaving to pierce one of those bombs in your pocket

pickdropper

Quote from: FuzzMonkey on May 22, 2019, 12:39:59 AM
Quote from: Aentons on May 20, 2019, 05:27:17 AM

Thanks for the tip.

Just plain old curiosity really. I did find these at ModBoxMaker:

http://www.modmaker.co.uk/Enclosures/ModMakerBox-Enclosures?limit=100

Cast aluminum boxes are relatively inexpensive to produce.  Extruded alum is almost always going to be more expensive.

The issue with most extruded boxes is that they are usually made as a long tube and chopped, so the panels are usually attach to both ends, not top/bottom like most pedals.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

matmosphere

I never see extruded enclosures with a flat surface on top.

matmosphere

These are interesting

https://www.hawkusa.com/manufacturers/hammond-mfg/enclosures/chassis/1444-8?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIso329sSv4gIVUV8NCh3NsAEBEAQYBCABEgIbzPD_BwE

Not sure if they'd hold up to being stomped on.

Have you considered using sheet aluminum and building and shielding a wooden frame for it to sit in.

Aentons

Aentons

Thes Bud boxes don't appear to be sloped

https://www.budind.com/view/Die+Cast+Aluminum+Enclosure/Econobox

Edit: Nevermind... Their customer support says "they do have a draft angle, only way to get out of the mold"

FuzzMonkey

somnif

Obviously the answer is to learn sand casting and make your own!

...that feasible, right?

alanp

I'd say look for bent-metal enclosures.

They won't be as strong as die-cast, mind you.

Any reason you want non-sloping sides?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

EBK

These are sweet looking:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpinetech-1590B-CNC-Milled-Aluminum-Enclosure-Box-Hidden-Magnet-Anodized/222881126100?hash=item33e4c016d4

Another benefit of machined aluminum over cast aluminum enclosures is that machined enclosures can be beautifully anodized.  Cast enclosures have irregular crystalization patterns, which would leave them splotchy looking.

I used a machined wooden enclosure for my theremin fuzz, but the website appears to be no more.  Very expensive, but fun to experiment with.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber