News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

newer PCBs have lower volume output?

Started by milkypostman, May 24, 2019, 04:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milkypostman

I've recently built three more recent (to me) versions of MB pedals: Slow Loris (2015), Green Bean (2015), Kingslayer (2015)

I also have an older version Slow Loris (v2) I've been using for a while. The two Slow Loris pedals have quite different layouts but the sound very similar sonically (I did setup the 2015 to have asymmetric clipping like the v2).

What I have noticed is that the new 2015 version has lower output at max volume than the v2. I feel like compared to another Klone I have the Kingslayer output volume is lower as well, at least compared to the Aion Refractor I built.. Basically, for the 2015 MB pedals I've built the volumes all sit around 75-100% when using with a reasonable output.

So can I get some more output by increasing the values of the volume pots? I realize these are voltage dividers but if these pots are anything like the voltage divider circuits in guitars, the value can effect the output a lot (i.e., comparing a guitar with 1M pots vs 250k pots).

I saw another thread on this but it didn't have any resolution and the link to beavis hifi is busted.

dmitrogen47

You might want to look into the instructuions that came with the Slow Loris.
I have a similar issue (it's quite low output, unity is well past 2 o'clock).

Here's a quote:

"R10 was included because I saw it on at least one Ratâ„¢ schematic. I don't know how
prevalent this resistor was over the history of the pedal, and I've never used it. But, it
was included nonetheless to be as accurate as possible. I suggest leaving it off. Its function
seems to be to set the output impedance of the circuit, but is superfluous since our Volume pot
already does this. In fact, it will reduce the total volume output of the circuit since it is in parallel
with the volume pot: another reason to leave it off".

Good luck!