News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Snarkdoodle is having too much output

Started by alibayat, June 01, 2019, 06:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alibayat

hello everyone. i've made this Snarkdoodle-Way Huge Red Llama (TM) pedal, its a simple one and sounds great.
i've built the exact same schematics except i dont have a R6 (1m resistor connecting output to gnd).

i am getting a very strong signal in the output of circuit, with the volume down on the amp and about 2/10 of the volume pot on pedal, i'm getting a very strong output .. any ideas how should i normalize it a bit?
thanks in advance.

bigdave

I built mine to spec and I'm having the same issues. Feel like I'm gonna blow my amp at 10:00

JackSkellington

Can we see the schematic, please?
Is it a traditional Red Llama?
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

madbean

Is your volume problem only with the higher gain settings? How is it when the gain is in the first half of the turn?

The Red Llama is intended to have a pretty huge volume output. It was even marketed that way. But, there are steps you can take to reduce that.
1- You can use a 100kA  volume pot. This will add more series resistance at the output when the volume is turned down. I would not go higher than 100k as it may start to add too much bass.
2- You can reduce R5. Lowering R5 to 100k or 220k will reduce the output but might also change the feel of it some. If you do this, you need to change C4 as well. 1n for 100k or 470pF for 220k (this is to preserve the same frequency response as the original).

gordo

Not noticing the problem in mine. I'm getting unity with the gain cranked and the volume at about 10:30. At minimum gain the volume is about 2:00.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?