News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Your suggestions on overdrives for mbp

Started by madbean, June 02, 2019, 07:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

The OD section of the Shop page is looking really pretty pathetic. I've spent a great deal of time working on modulation ideas over the last year and literally none on overdrive. What kind of OD projects would you like to see? I don't want to do clones of boutique stuff and there's already a lot of that out there anyway. Also, I'm not going to so anything that's already covered by the existing VFE projects since I still have lots of those boards.

More tube based projects, maybe? And different types of tubes? Or, something else? Something totally original (haha, yeah, whatever that would be)? Maybe combining OD with another type of effect...hmmm.

One project I do hope to add this summer is my (discrete) pedal version of the Vox Night Train, if I can finally get the damn thing to work right. Maybe a couple more amp to pedal conversions? I used to do one for the Carmen Ghia several years ago that was pretty neat.

Anyway, throw your ideas out if you have them.

Berger

ODs are hard in my opinion to make something that different.

Personally, I've been chasing higher gain stuff at the moment and am wrapping up a chunk chunk.

So maybe amp based stuff like that but with J201 getting hard to find, maybe with soemthing else? I thought I read somewhere that the latest ROG amp pedals had moved away from 201s to something else, but I didn't dig enough to find what.

Btw I've been on a modulation kick too so I've enjoyed the new projects!

EBK

How about an overdrive that is controlled by a sluggish envelope follower.  Basically, as you play harder, you slowly drive up the voltage on a cap from the envelope follower.  Once a threshold is reached, the overdrive kicks in.  As you start to play more gently, the cap slowly discharges, and the overdrive goes away. 

Essentially, the overdrive senses your mood.   ;)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

midwayfair

I don't think there's a project for the EHX GermOD. I always thought it was a neat pedal, but it's not too terribly exciting. It had a voltage starve and no output volume control. It was actually my dirt pedal for a while.

And you're of course welcome to any of my projects that didn't get picked up by someone else. I think Thomas's Cruise Drive board is the only dirt pedal of mine besides the Snow Day out there. Like the Rust Bunny is a pretty rare bird with lots of room for modification.

One neat idea would be if you could give access to a digitally-controlled pedal that could switch numerous characteristics at once with a small rotary. This is something that's become a bit popular in boutique stuff but hasn't happened on the DIY end./\

Aentons

Quote from: madbean on June 02, 2019, 07:04:18 AM
More tube based projects, maybe? And different types of tubes?
Nu-tube would definitely be interesting

Something totally original (haha, yeah, whatever that would be)?
The key to the Klon's success seems to be doing different things with multiple paths... so maybe something that expands on that idea in a different way could be interesting. Just a thought, but are there any interesting studio mixer tricks that haven't shown up in pedal form yet?

Maybe a couple more amp to pedal conversions?
VFE/Peter had some RunOffGroove "Licensed" boards in the Standard VFE format at some point and they are not in the VFE board files bundle he is selling. I like the idea of being able to swap the guts/enclosure in a semi-modular way so It would be interesting to see if those could ever be made available again. He also had 5 or 6 BYOC adaptations.

These are the RunOffGroove ones I know about:

RunOffGroove 22/7 - CMOS implementation of the Big Muff Pi with a flexible tonestack

RunOffGroove Azabache - original overdrive inspired by classic Fender amps

RunOffGroove Britannia - original overdrive inspired by the Vox AC-30 Top Boost amp

RunOffGroove Eighteen - Marshall 18W adapted for use as a distortion stompbox

RunOffGroove Ginger -  Ampeg SB-12 Portaflex adapted for use as a bass guitar distortion stompbox

RunOffGroove Supreaux Deux - Supro 16T adapted for use as a distortion stompbox

RunOffGroove Thor - Marshall 100W Super Lead adapted for use as a distortion stompbox

RunOffGroove Tri-Vibe - versatile modulation effect that offers true vibrato

RunOffGroove Umble - distortion stompbox, inspired by Dumble amplifiers

RunOffGroove Uno - Boogie MkI adapted for use as a distortion stompbox

The VFE bundle also had some alternate switching boards in it that would be neat to use with these for something like a direct box, or mic effects.

Yahoo67

Lots of od/distortions sounds the same... what i would love is a prunes and custard or animato type  of overdrive . Something with a envelope . Mayde like a modified mxr distortion II with 2 diffrent kind of distortion mix into one ^^

Aentons

Quote from: Yahoo67 on June 02, 2019, 09:51:40 AM
Something with a envelope .

The EHX Graphic Fuzz is a Muff Overdrive that has an expander in it which is pretty neat... You don't see that a lot.

Quote from: Yahoo67 on June 02, 2019, 09:51:40 AM
with 2 diffrent kind of distortion mix into one
Isn't this what the VFE Dragon/DragonHound is... An AlphaDog and PaleHorse in one box.

Yahoo67

Oh Hell yeah ehx graphic fuzz i second that !!! Or even a deluxe big would be neat :) i am a sucker for a ehx pedal any day !

HamSandwich

Quote from: midwayfair on June 02, 2019, 07:54:03 AM
One neat idea would be if you could give access to a digitally-controlled pedal that could switch numerous characteristics at once with a small rotary. This is something that's become a bit popular in boutique stuff but hasn't happened on the DIY end./\

I like this. Be it 'characteristics' or a full on switcher-o type thing where you can go through a few different classic overdrives. Between your shop and the others you have linked from the forum, I feel like there's access to nearly any type of drive someone could ask for, so offering something with a new function like this would be a step up vs. the one-sound or topography differences. Maybe something like a Select-a-amp pedal.

Or maybe pursuing the amp-type drive subcircuit without J201's, a broader project like the ROG's Fetzer Valve but with a different device that could trickle down to various circuits. Would be more a circuit snippit or subcircuit project that could trickle down to a multitude of circuits. Of course the Fetzer valve was built in part on a large amount of other people's research, so maybe that's asking the for the impossible.

I'd also be interested in drives that do the supro/LZ1 sound (the ones without the tonebender) or the balls to the wall champ sound from the Face's Stay With Me.

I'd really love a drive that does the clipping the focusrite scarlett series of USB sound cards do when you really push them.

Aristatertotle

Maybe some overdrive's with a clean blend/bass friendly designs. Something that cops the darkglass micro tubes or something. OD with 3 band eq with a switchable mid frequency center? Distortion with TMB tone controls where the bass is a tightness control pre-distortion that cuts bass, mids has a center control, and treble is ye standard treble cut.

benny_profane

I'm always interested in utility pedals that allow making existing things take on new flavors or roles in a signal chain. Specific to OD, that could mean switchable series designs or parallel options for gain. I know VFE has some parallel projects with frequency splits, but other parallel options with blend, etc. could be interesting.

Something totally original (haha, yeah, whatever that would be)? Maybe combining OD with another type of effect...hmmm.

What do you feel that's missing in the current market? What do you think is extremely tired (beyond clones, of course)? That would be the place to start when thinking about something original. You're very close to everything...with research, prototyping, auditioning...where's the gap?

Another thought is analog vs. digital. Do you want to wade further into digital stuff, or are we talking strictly analog?

Also, what were your thoughts in re combinations? Something like a drive and modulation might be too specific or only have a narrow niche, but an OD and amp emulation (with possibilities of swapping either stage) could be a way to integrate things and make a really full-featured gain unit.

Quote from: EBK on June 02, 2019, 07:49:50 AM
How about an overdrive that is controlled by a sluggish envelope follower.  Basically, as you play harder, you slowly drive up the voltage on a cap from the envelope follower.  Once a threshold is reached, the overdrive kicks in.  As you start to play more gently, the cap slowly discharges, and the overdrive goes away. 

I think a responsive OD structured this way sounds interesting. What I like here is that it's thinking about a traditional effect in a new light...which is probably the key to moving forward.

Quote from: Berger on June 02, 2019, 07:46:16 AM
So maybe amp based stuff like that but with J201 getting hard to find, maybe with soemthing else? I thought I read somewhere that the latest ROG amp pedals had moved away from 201s to something else, but I didn't dig enough to find what.

I don't necessarily think that moving away from J201's entirely needs to happen. Although, rethinking board layout to include SMD pads as well as through-hole pads for transistors might be the way forward. Coda Effects' Black Hole Sunn Model T board is an example of a project that incorporates this idea.

The amp projects overall I think are pretty cool. I'd certainly be interested in those.

Tremster

Two of my favorite ODs were by you, just bring them back:
The Sparkplug 2 as perfect as it is.
And the Grease Gun tweaked out a bit with some more ... goodness. Broader Range, EQ ... idk.

Also, personally, I like two-in-ones: an OD with a boost or a treble boost or an EQ in front.
And amp-in-box pedals that work as the dirt channel on one-channel amps.
I know tho that all of this has been done by everyone.

Tremster

Quote from: Aentons on June 02, 2019, 08:52:54 AM
These are the RunOffGroove ones I know about:

RunOffGroove 22/7 - CMOS implementation of the Big Muff Pi with a flexible tonestack

RunOffGroove Azabache - original overdrive inspired by classic Fender amps

RunOffGroove Britannia - original overdrive inspired by the Vox AC-30 Top Boost amp

RunOffGroove Eighteen - Marshall 18W adapted for use as a distortion stompbox

RunOffGroove Ginger -  Ampeg SB-12 Portaflex adapted for use as a bass guitar distortion stompbox

RunOffGroove Supreaux Deux - Supro 16T adapted for use as a distortion stompbox

RunOffGroove Thor - Marshall 100W Super Lead adapted for use as a distortion stompbox

RunOffGroove Tri-Vibe - versatile modulation effect that offers true vibrato

RunOffGroove Umble - distortion stompbox, inspired by Dumble amplifiers

RunOffGroove Uno - Boogie MkI adapted for use as a distortion stompbox

Most of those are available by the usual PCB suppliers.
There is also the UBE Screamer, a Screamer based around logic chips.
That would be cool: amp emulators that need way fewer parts.

Aentons

Quote from: Tremster on June 02, 2019, 12:35:00 PM
Most of those are available by the usual PCB suppliers.

...but not in the VFE "Standard" layout/format, which makes them somewhat modular so you can mix and match

gordo

Would like to see your take on the NT.  Great amp.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?