Author Topic: Your suggestions on overdrives for mbp  (Read 3950 times)

DFX

• Transistor Tickler
    • View Profile
Re: Your suggestions on overdrives for mbp
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2019, 06:29:56 PM »
I would like an overdrive that makes me play better and gives me more hours in the day to practice.

But my ideal overdrive would be like thetimmy or vfe dragon, transparent but with flexible eq options but it would have second foot switch that would be able to toggle in whatever you set in the effects loop. That way instead of a dual pedal that is maybe just a od/boost or whatever, you could plop in a fuzz and delay.

Basically if a  klein bottle and a dragon had incestuous baby and left out a bunch of options, like only having one eye and nine toes.

yup, a pedal like that would sell like hot cakes
DFX- PCB's for Guitar Pedal Projects Sold on eBay

Aentons

• Solder Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2019, 06:45:52 PM »
I would like an overdrive that makes me play better and gives me more hours in the day to practice.

But my ideal overdrive would be like thetimmy or vfe dragon, transparent but with flexible eq options but it would have second foot switch that would be able to toggle in whatever you set in the effects loop. That way instead of a dual pedal that is maybe just a od/boost or whatever, you could plop in a fuzz and delay.

Basically if a  klein bottle and a dragon had incestuous baby and left out a bunch of options, like only having one eye and nine toes.

yup, a pedal like that would sell like hot cakes

Behold... the VFE RUP (Rainbows, Unicorns, and Puppies or Radical Ultrasonic Processor)
http://vfepedals.com/rup.html

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 07:02:27 PM by Aentons »

mattc

• Stompbox Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2019, 07:41:38 PM »
I'd like tube-based pedal ports of amps/preamps.  Like your Carmen Ghia pedal but with actual tubes instead of JFETs.  A tube based compressor pedal would be cool too.

Aentons

• Solder Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2019, 07:47:40 PM »
Another idea... Sorry, please tell me to shut up if it gets to be too much. just brainstorming a little

We all know about tubes, diodes, etc.. Maybe try some unconventional ways to create mild distortion. We know that some of the best sounding stuff comes from being inefficient or sub-optimal.

... a couple of things that I have no idea about but kinda sound like it might do that.

- Overloading a thin wire, like a fuse

- underpowered or too distant Near field wireless induction. kinda like the wireless LEDs in the video from the other post, but with audio rather than power)

HamSandwich

• Solder Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2019, 09:09:59 PM »
Another idea... Sorry, please tell me to shut up if it gets to be too much. just brainstorming a little

We all know about tubes, diodes, etc.. Maybe try some unconventional ways to create mild distortion. We know that some of the best sounding stuff comes from being inefficient or sub-optimal.

... a couple of things that I have no idea about but kinda sound like it might do that.

- Overloading a thin wire, like a fuse

- underpowered or too distant Near field wireless induction. kinda like the wireless LEDs in the video from the other post, but with audio rather than power)

Maybe two tape heads lined up without tape?

GermanCdn

• Electron Doctor
  • Curtis - Calgary, AB
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2019, 05:22:07 AM »
Two of my favorite ODs were by you, just bring them back:
The Sparkplug 2 as perfect as it is.
And the Grease Gun tweaked out a bit with some more ... goodness. Broader Range, EQ ... idk.

Also, personally, I like two-in-ones: an OD with a boost or a treble boost or an EQ in front.
And amp-in-box pedals that work as the dirt channel on one-channel amps.
I know tho that all of this has been done by everyone.

I second the vote for Grease Gun 2.0
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

thesmokingman

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • A Cult of ACK
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2019, 06:22:38 AM »
the night train in a box is a cool idea ... I'd like to see a tiny terror in pedal form as well.

once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Willybomb

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • RockStarGuitar
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2019, 07:26:39 AM »
Why not release the BE-OD with single tone knob that you did a little while ago?

Bret608

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2019, 07:33:58 AM »
I remember being interested in the Dirtbuddy you were working on a while back. Kind of a Klimmy if I remember correctly...

artstomp

• Solder Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2019, 09:20:11 PM »
Pardon me but i know this is not an overdrive...how about a buffer pedal with a little eq control so i dont need to run to the amplifier to change its tonal control whenever i change guitars...

Marshall Arts

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2019, 04:07:42 AM »
I like my mashup of a BSIAB II and DIABLO for non-Tube-Amp Hi-Gain-Stuff, if that is interesting, feel free to use it.

Video:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh4FevjBdWE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh4FevjBdWE</a>

Build Doc:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g8BagMpBAZGZ6NRCEpW4PXo3-MAYxbF_

dan.schumaker

• Electron Doctor
  • Schu-Tone
    • View Profile
    • Schu-Tone
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2019, 05:39:32 AM »
I would think for different OD's, I would go more in the direction of super-OD's.  Something like the EQD Palisades, classic circuits with all the bells and whistles.

DFX

• Transistor Tickler
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2019, 06:07:10 AM »
I would think for different OD's, I would go more in the direction of super-OD's.  Something like the EQD Palisades, classic circuits with all the bells and whistles.

https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/stockade/
DFX- PCB's for Guitar Pedal Projects Sold on eBay

dan.schumaker

• Electron Doctor
  • Schu-Tone
    • View Profile
    • Schu-Tone
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2019, 06:35:20 AM »

https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/stockade/

I was thinking along that same line, but use that same thought for Rat, Bluesbreaker, Zendrive, OCD, etc.

madbean

• Administrator
  • Electron Doctor
  • Brian
    • View Profile
    • madbeanpedals
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2019, 08:22:22 AM »
Well I wasn't expecting this strong of a response, haha. Good show!

Some really solid ideas in here - more tube stuff, amp ports, Grease Gun 2, old Maxon stuff, Sparkplug (that's already been completed but not released yet), and quite a few things I never thought of. Some suggestions might be a little out of my lane such as digital controlled analog overdrive, etc. Mostly I am looking for projects that will be fun, unique, and definitely not too time consuming to develop. And something high gain is well overdue as well.

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming. I think I'll make a spreadsheet of the suggestions and see how it could play out.
I own madbeanpedals (duh). I am part owner of Function F(X).