News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Your suggestions on overdrives for mbp

Started by madbean, June 02, 2019, 07:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattc

I'd like tube-based pedal ports of amps/preamps.  Like your Carmen Ghia pedal but with actual tubes instead of JFETs.  A tube based compressor pedal would be cool too.

Aentons

Another idea... Sorry, please tell me to shut up if it gets to be too much. just brainstorming a little

We all know about tubes, diodes, etc.. Maybe try some unconventional ways to create mild distortion. We know that some of the best sounding stuff comes from being inefficient or sub-optimal.

... a couple of things that I have no idea about but kinda sound like it might do that.

- Overloading a thin wire, like a fuse

- underpowered or too distant Near field wireless induction. kinda like the wireless LEDs in the video from the other post, but with audio rather than power)

HamSandwich

Quote from: Aentons on June 03, 2019, 06:47:40 PM
Another idea... Sorry, please tell me to shut up if it gets to be too much. just brainstorming a little

We all know about tubes, diodes, etc.. Maybe try some unconventional ways to create mild distortion. We know that some of the best sounding stuff comes from being inefficient or sub-optimal.

... a couple of things that I have no idea about but kinda sound like it might do that.

- Overloading a thin wire, like a fuse

- underpowered or too distant Near field wireless induction. kinda like the wireless LEDs in the video from the other post, but with audio rather than power)

Maybe two tape heads lined up without tape?

GermanCdn

Quote from: Tremster on June 02, 2019, 12:24:35 PM
Two of my favorite ODs were by you, just bring them back:
The Sparkplug 2 as perfect as it is.
And the Grease Gun tweaked out a bit with some more ... goodness. Broader Range, EQ ... idk.

Also, personally, I like two-in-ones: an OD with a boost or a treble boost or an EQ in front.
And amp-in-box pedals that work as the dirt channel on one-channel amps.
I know tho that all of this has been done by everyone.

I second the vote for Grease Gun 2.0
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

thesmokingman

the night train in a box is a cool idea ... I'd like to see a tiny terror in pedal form as well.

once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Willybomb

Why not release the BE-OD with single tone knob that you did a little while ago?

Bret608

I remember being interested in the Dirtbuddy you were working on a while back. Kind of a Klimmy if I remember correctly...

artstomp

Pardon me but i know this is not an overdrive...how about a buffer pedal with a little eq control so i dont need to run to the amplifier to change its tonal control whenever i change guitars...

Marshall Arts

I like my mashup of a BSIAB II and DIABLO for non-Tube-Amp Hi-Gain-Stuff, if that is interesting, feel free to use it.

Video:

Build Doc:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g8BagMpBAZGZ6NRCEpW4PXo3-MAYxbF_

dan.schumaker

I would think for different OD's, I would go more in the direction of super-OD's.  Something like the EQD Palisades, classic circuits with all the bells and whistles.

dan.schumaker

Quote from: DFX on June 05, 2019, 05:07:10 AM
Quote from: dan.schumaker on June 05, 2019, 04:39:32 AM
I would think for different OD's, I would go more in the direction of super-OD's.  Something like the EQD Palisades, classic circuits with all the bells and whistles.

https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/stockade/

I was thinking along that same line, but use that same thought for Rat, Bluesbreaker, Zendrive, OCD, etc.

madbean

Well I wasn't expecting this strong of a response, haha. Good show!

Some really solid ideas in here - more tube stuff, amp ports, Grease Gun 2, old Maxon stuff, Sparkplug (that's already been completed but not released yet), and quite a few things I never thought of. Some suggestions might be a little out of my lane such as digital controlled analog overdrive, etc. Mostly I am looking for projects that will be fun, unique, and definitely not too time consuming to develop. And something high gain is well overdue as well.

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming. I think I'll make a spreadsheet of the suggestions and see how it could play out.

aion

Quote from: lars on June 02, 2019, 06:29:18 PM
The Ibanez CR-5 Crunchy Rhythm. The schematic:  https://www.dirk-hendrik.com/ibanez_cr5.png
As far as I can tell, nobody has made a pcb for this, and it's one of the most underrated overdrive pedals ever made. It's not another Tube Screamer, Klon, DOD 250; so that in itself is a breath of fresh air.

I've got one of these coming... the proto board is here, just need some time to build it & write the docs!

jubal81

What I think would be exciting is a MBP 3-in-1 platform.

1790 box with 3 switches/effects with the option of independent switching or 1-of-3 switching, where the others turn off when you click one on.

Design the dirt PCBs to fit the platform perfectly with one 4-prong header to make swapping in and out new dirt circuits really simple.

Get PCB faceplates for each effect and include with the circuit PCB. This also allows for standard 6-hole control layout for each one, as the faceplate would cover any unused holes. You could even get Tayda/PPP to have the 1790s drilled and ready to go.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Aentons

Quote from: jubal81 on June 05, 2019, 09:55:32 AM
What I think would be exciting is a MBP 3-in-1 platform.

1790 box with 3 switches/effects with the option of independent switching or 1-of-3 switching, where the others turn off when you click one on.

Design the dirt PCBs to fit the platform perfectly with one 4-prong header to make swapping in and out new dirt circuits really simple.

Get PCB faceplates for each effect and include with the circuit PCB. This also allows for standard 6-hole control layout for each one, as the faceplate would cover any unused holes. You could even get Tayda/PPP to have the 1790s drilled and ready to go.

That's actually what I'm working on right now but I'm using a 1590dd since I'm using the VFE builds.  I doing a combo TS/Rat/BM and goanna build with headers for the internal connections and to the jacks and switchboard. That's the main reason I brought up the modular aspect of the "standard" VFE boards and maybe asking Peter about using his "standard" layout boards for the ROG preamp projects that I listed above.

I was actually planning on a sort of foldable mini-mega pedal by combining 2 to 6 of these on hinges side by side, and/or top and bottom

There is already a VFE switch board for the master switch idea as well. I think it's just for the double pedal tho

I was also about to post and ask if anyone had a drill template for the VFE triple pedal layout or the RUP, which I assume is the same