News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Your suggestions on overdrives for mbp

Started by madbean, June 02, 2019, 07:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesmokingman

op amp only high gain ... for the absurdist angle, approach it like z.vex and just keep adding bacon bits boost stages until you get where you're going like he did with the SHO/SD2n1/BoR/BoM
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

mjcyates

Quote from: jubal81 on June 05, 2019, 09:55:32 AM
What I think would be exciting is a MBP 3-in-1 platform.

1790 box with 3 switches/effects with the option of independent switching or 1-of-3 switching, where the others turn off when you click one on.

Design the dirt PCBs to fit the platform perfectly with one 4-prong header to make swapping in and out new dirt circuits really simple.

Get PCB faceplates for each effect and include with the circuit PCB. This also allows for standard 6-hole control layout for each one, as the faceplate would cover any unused holes. You could even get Tayda/PPP to have the 1790s drilled and ready to go.

Love this idea!

lars

Quote from: aion on June 05, 2019, 09:07:48 AM
Quote from: lars on June 02, 2019, 06:29:18 PM
The Ibanez CR-5 Crunchy Rhythm. The schematic:  https://www.dirk-hendrik.com/ibanez_cr5.png
As far as I can tell, nobody has made a pcb for this, and it's one of the most underrated overdrive pedals ever made. It's not another Tube Screamer, Klon, DOD 250; so that in itself is a breath of fresh air.

I've got one of these coming... the proto board is here, just need some time to build it & write the docs!
Ah. This is music to my earlobes. I will definitely be down for ordering one of these when it's available.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Willybomb

QuoteI would think for different OD's, I would go more in the direction of super-OD's.  Something like the EQD Palisades, classic circuits with all the bells and whistles.

Storyboardist does a couple like that, his Bluesbreaker and Tube Screamer boards are very well equipped.

Hoffy84

Not sure if there's already an existing or past project done but what about a combo high gain pedal with noise gate circuit built into it?

skyled

Lounsberry Organ Grinder
https://www.lounsberrypedals.com/organ-grinder

Fet based overdrive for organ and bass (and maybe sounds good with guitar?). Low resolution gut shot of partially completed board is available in this video, but I can't tell much of anything from it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdkWS_cdWWk

To be used with my Hammond to bring out my inner Jon Lord (pretty please <3 <3)

Willybomb

What about a Super Uber Tuber with 2x tubes and dual channels....

dawson

*This comment has been removed due to the author's poor understanding of clipping diodes.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

Frank_NH

I have experimented with simple discrete op-amps for overdrives.  The result was my D-Tube overdrive (a discrete op-amp version of the tube screamer circuit), a layout for which I posted over at the Guitar FX Layouts site at the link below.  It works great and is fairly forgiving of the JFETs and BJTs used in the discrete op amps.  It also sounds a little different than an average tube screamer - perhaps a little smoother.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/D-Tube-A-Discrete-Op-Amp-Overdrive-tp41274.html

BTW, the discrete op amp topology I adopted is similar to that used in BOSS circuits like the Blues Driver.  However, I added a BJT buffer at the output of the JFET/PNP op amp part of the circuit.   I would think that you could apply this same discrete op amp idea to just about any one or two op amp overdrive or distortion circuit (Gainster, OCD, Zendrive, Klon...).  You could even experiment with creating a discrete op amp with an adapter that could be plugged into a 8 pin socket of an existing effect.  Lots of DIY fun!   ;D

Tremster

I forgot: an 8Ball for 1590A with a bit more fatness and output ....  ;D

ahiddentableau

I second the idea of thinking about enclosures as well as boards.  PedalPCB's having standard designs and then getting Tayda to sell predrilled enclosures is shockingly great.  You can do 'em up fancy if you like, but in general taking away one of the two most tedious parts of a build has made me want to build more than normal.  Doing faceplates is another great idea.

Matt

1 Fuzz face with clean blend.
2 tube driver with my stages instead of tubes
3 Randall RG pre
Matt

Tremster

Digging up this thread again.

How about a version of the Blackout Effectors Mantra? Especially now that Blackout seems to be out of business.
Never seen a DIY version of this, although it was quite popular some years ago. It's a high gain overdrive with a lot of hair:

"Equally capable of invoking the sacred sounds of a classically refined overdrive AND summoning wickedly raunchy drive, with more crunch on tap than the overdrive moniker usually entails. With such a wide palette of tones and character the MANTRA will feel just as at home at the feet of the stalwart blues crowd as it will the quintessential rock & roll protagonists.
The MANTRA utilizes amp-like circuit architecture, with multiple cascaded MOSFET and JFET gain stages to insure the most natural, touch-sensitive overdrive conditions possible and a seemingly endless range of clean-up with your guitar"s volume knob. We burned a lot of midnight oil to make sure that the MANTRA could get down with vintage-type, low output single coils and hot humbucker pickups alike. From gently fingerpicked melodic phrases to bludgeoning riffs that you"ll want to play over and over and over..."

Schematic etc.: http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.com/2012/07/blackout-effectors-mantra-overdrive.html

There was a version available with a Low Gain Switch which bypassed a gain stage. I can't find a schematic for that though ....

benny_profane

I've been thinking about the possibility of an envelope controlled mux to route clipping paths or maybe tone circuits. Is this a possibility? It seems like it could be cool for really letting picking dynamics control the overall response of the pedal in a different way (at least not in one of which I'm aware).

Aleph Null

I'd love to see an overdrive/distortion that is an expander (that is, the opposite of a compressor) into a clipping stage. Exaggerating playing dynamics could make for a really interactive and touch sensitive overdrive.

I'd also like to see an implementation of the AMZ "warp control". Something that would let you blend between symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping.