Author Topic: Your suggestions on overdrives for mbp  (Read 2692 times)

DFX

• Transistor Tickler
    • View Profile
Re: Your suggestions on overdrives for mbp
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2019, 09:29:52 AM »
toneczar openhaus is high gain-you can also plug in a footswitch to control gain

aion

• Solder Ninja
    • View Profile
    • Aion Electronics
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2019, 10:07:48 AM »
The Ibanez CR-5 Crunchy Rhythm. The schematic:  https://www.dirk-hendrik.com/ibanez_cr5.png
As far as I can tell, nobody has made a pcb for this, and it's one of the most underrated overdrive pedals ever made. It's not another Tube Screamer, Klon, DOD 250; so that in itself is a breath of fresh air.

I've got one of these coming... the proto board is here, just need some time to build it & write the docs!
Aion Electronics - DIY PCBs for a number of classic circuits

jubal81

• Electron Doctor
  • Jason - Evergreen State
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2019, 10:55:32 AM »
What I think would be exciting is a MBP 3-in-1 platform.

1790 box with 3 switches/effects with the option of independent switching or 1-of-3 switching, where the others turn off when you click one on.

Design the dirt PCBs to fit the platform perfectly with one 4-prong header to make swapping in and out new dirt circuits really simple.

Get PCB faceplates for each effect and include with the circuit PCB. This also allows for standard 6-hole control layout for each one, as the faceplate would cover any unused holes. You could even get Tayda/PPP to have the 1790s drilled and ready to go.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Aentons

• Solder Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2019, 11:17:37 AM »

1790 box with 3 switches/effects with the option of independent switching or 1-of-3 switching, where the others turn off when you click one on.

Design the dirt PCBs to fit the platform perfectly with one 4-prong header to make swapping in and out new dirt circuits really simple.

Get PCB faceplates for each effect and include with the circuit PCB. This also allows for standard 6-hole control layout for each one, as the faceplate would cover any unused holes. You could even get Tayda/PPP to have the 1790s drilled and ready to go.

That's actually what I'm working on right now but I'm using a 1590dd since I'm using the VFE builds.  I doing a combo TS/Rat/BM and goanna build with headers for the internal connections and to the jacks and switchboard. That's the main reason I brought up the modular aspect of the "standard" VFE boards and maybe asking Peter about using his "standard" layout boards for the ROG preamp projects that I listed above.

I was actually planning on a sort of foldable mini-mega pedal by combining 2 to 6 of these on hinges side by side, and/or top and bottom

There is already a VFE switch board for the master switch idea as well. I think it's just for the double pedal tho

I was also about to post and ask if anyone had a drill template for the VFE triple pedal layout or the RUP, which I assume is the same
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:37:29 AM by Aentons »

thesmokingman

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • A Cult of ACK
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2019, 04:21:04 PM »
op amp only high gain ... for the absurdist angle, approach it like z.vex and just keep adding bacon bits boost stages until you get where you're going like he did with the SHO/SD2n1/BoR/BoM
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

mjcyates

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2019, 08:42:29 PM »

Love this idea!

lars

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2019, 12:08:00 AM »
The Ibanez CR-5 Crunchy Rhythm. The schematic:  https://www.dirk-hendrik.com/ibanez_cr5.png
As far as I can tell, nobody has made a pcb for this, and it's one of the most underrated overdrive pedals ever made. It's not another Tube Screamer, Klon, DOD 250; so that in itself is a breath of fresh air.

I've got one of these coming... the proto board is here, just need some time to build it & write the docs!
Ah. This is music to my earlobes. I will definitely be down for ordering one of these when it's available.
You have multiple likes on your profile that doesn't exist; multiple offers on your house that doesn't exist; and multiple job offers on the resume you never posted.

Willybomb

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • RockStarGuitar
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2019, 04:39:08 AM »
I would think for different OD's, I would go more in the direction of super-OD's.  Something like the EQD Palisades, classic circuits with all the bells and whistles.

Storyboardist does a couple like that, his Bluesbreaker and Tube Screamer boards are very well equipped.

Hoffy84

• Diode Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2019, 05:19:46 AM »
Not sure if there’s already an existing or past project done but what about a combo high gain pedal with noise gate circuit built into it?

skyled

• Transistor Tickler
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2019, 02:12:44 PM »
Lounsberry Organ Grinder
https://www.lounsberrypedals.com/organ-grinder

Fet based overdrive for organ and bass (and maybe sounds good with guitar?). Low resolution gut shot of partially completed board is available in this video, but I can't tell much of anything from it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdkWS_cdWWk

To be used with my Hammond to bring out my inner Jon Lord (pretty please <3 <3)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 02:14:48 PM by skyled »

Willybomb

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • RockStarGuitar
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2019, 12:21:35 AM »
What about a Super Uber Tuber with 2x tubes and dual channels....

dawson

• Diode Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2019, 07:31:10 PM »
*This comment has been removed due to the author's poor understanding of clipping diodes.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:30:15 AM by dawson »

Frank_NH

• Transistor Tickler
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2019, 12:35:02 PM »
I have experimented with simple discrete op-amps for overdrives.  The result was my D-Tube overdrive (a discrete op-amp version of the tube screamer circuit), a layout for which I posted over at the Guitar FX Layouts site at the link below.  It works great and is fairly forgiving of the JFETs and BJTs used in the discrete op amps.  It also sounds a little different than an average tube screamer - perhaps a little smoother.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/D-Tube-A-Discrete-Op-Amp-Overdrive-tp41274.html

BTW, the discrete op amp topology I adopted is similar to that used in BOSS circuits like the Blues Driver.  However, I added a BJT buffer at the output of the JFET/PNP op amp part of the circuit.   I would think that you could apply this same discrete op amp idea to just about any one or two op amp overdrive or distortion circuit (Gainster, OCD, Zendrive, Klon...).  You could even experiment with creating a discrete op amp with an adapter that could be plugged into a 8 pin socket of an existing effect.  Lots of DIY fun!   ;D

Tremster

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2019, 01:05:31 PM »
I forgot: an 8Ball for 1590A with a bit more fatness and output ....  ;D

ahiddentableau

• Solder Ninja
  • J
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2019, 05:56:59 PM »
I second the idea of thinking about enclosures as well as boards.  PedalPCB's having standard designs and then getting Tayda to sell predrilled enclosures is shockingly great.  You can do 'em up fancy if you like, but in general taking away one of the two most tedious parts of a build has made me want to build more than normal.  Doing faceplates is another great idea.