News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Your suggestions on overdrives for mbp

Started by madbean, June 02, 2019, 07:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzCdog

I really like the Sparkplug! Nice sparkly harmonic detail. Only got kicked off my board recently by a real tube overdriver. (Blackstar HT Dual)

Aentons

Quote from: Aleph Null on October 25, 2019, 11:41:37 AM
I'd love to see an overdrive/distortion that is an expander (that is, the opposite of a compressor) into a clipping stage. Exaggerating playing dynamics could make for a really interactive and touch sensitive overdrive.
The EHX Graphic Fuzz has an expander section. It's more of an od/dist than a fuzz.

I'd also like to see an implementation of the AMZ "warp control". Something that would let you blend between symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping.

Some of the VFE stuff has "warp" type blending controls. The Alpha Dog and Scream among others let you warp the clipping type

Aleph Null

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to look into the Graphic Fuzz.

madbean

This is just to get the ball rolling. Re-designs of existing projects in line with my current layout style and a couple new/old ones. Not sure if i want to do the Lunchbox (BE-OD) since it's a bit out of character for me, but maybe.

These layouts are designed with options as far as enclosures - 1590B with regular bypass and side jacks (hopefully-it'll be a squeeze!), 1590B2 or 125B with top jacks and room for the Softie bypass.

I'll probably shoot for 5 or 6 more after I go over the responses in the thread again. See what I can cook up for the peoples.

Tremster

The Sparkplug with all external pots, oh yes!!!!

Also: what's the CFH from the projects page? Your own design or based on something?

(Also, on a side note: how about shrinking your silicon Tonebender to 1590A size?)

madbean

Quote from: Tremster on October 31, 2019, 05:03:28 AM
The Sparkplug with all external pots, oh yes!!!!

Also: what's the CFH from the projects page? Your own design or based on something?

(Also, on a side note: how about shrinking your silicon Tonebender to 1590A size?)

The CFH is a very hacky effort. It's just a static SHO with clipping diodes and a tone control. But, it sounds quite good so I'm going to do a run of them. Also, CFH stands for Crotch Fire Hurricane.

I could do a Tonebender in 1590A. I'll work that up.

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

benny_profane

Definitely stoked for the top jack redesigns. Also, I thought that CFH was pretty self-explanatory. What else could that possibly stand for?

Tremster

Quote from: madbean on October 31, 2019, 05:57:51 AM
The CFH is a very hacky effort. It's just a static SHO with clipping diodes and a tone control.

Sounds cool. Would that be a 1590A Grease Gun?

madbean

Quote from: Tremster on October 31, 2019, 05:03:28 AM

Here it do.

Tremster

Wow. That was quick.

I was asking about the Tonebender because I recently built a 2-in-1, Silicon Fuzz Face & your Silicon Tonebender, which I had never built before for some reason. And I love it! A lot of fuzzes are useless on the first 75% of the gain range, but this is great all along, dirty overdrive to full on fuzz, and so simple to build.
Good to have the smaller version, too. Thanks!

Willybomb

Is that the mythical full blown Mysterioso Snr?

madbean

Quote from: Willybomb on November 02, 2019, 04:30:48 AM
Is that the mythical full blown Mysterioso Snr?

Indeed it is. Still one of my favorites. I have a version I built into a 1590B as an homage to the original but this one is 125B and a whole lot easier to build.

So, here's what I'm doing for sure:
- Grease Gun 2 (already know what I want to do with it).

- Rump Roast 2 (that's the Carmen Ghia I did a few years ago). I'm thinking the original in a 1590A and maybe a tube version in a 125B. Should it be a submini or 12ax7? It might be possible to set it up for either tube, actually.

- I really like he idea of the Graphic Fuzz but holey balls, it's pretty intense part-wise. Still, I may tackle it.

- I also really like the idea of a digitally-switched OD with different parts/values like the two JHS ones. I'd say that is a very high maybe.

- Still working on the Night Train OD - it's populated and just needs a small debug.

I'll still come back to the "well" here as I work on other ideas. I'd like to get about 15-20 OD projects done and call it a day (I'm already up to 10 layouts completed). Honestly, working on these feels like a cakewalk compared to some of the other stuff I've been trying to pull off the last year or two.

matmosphere

That all sounds pretty awesome.

Would you do sliders on the graphic fuzz or just pots? Either way it'll be cool. One possible thing that might make it interesting is if you could have the EQ work independent of have a switch for the fuzz. That way it could be a 5 band eq as well. But don't know if that would work with the circuit

Aleph Null

Quote from: madbean on November 04, 2019, 06:51:41 AM
I'd like to get about 15-20 OD projects done and call it a day (I'm already up to 10 layouts completed).

If I may ask, why the sudden interest in dirt boxes? Is a lot of the VFE stuff going away making room for new inventory? Just curious.