News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Packing in

Started by juansolo, June 06, 2019, 05:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

I've always enjoyed seeing your builds (and car videos) so that's a bummer.  You've always been one of the folks I've looked up to in this "biz".  Completely understand though, there's only so much stuff to make before it feels repetitive and if you're not enjoying it....
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

selfdestroyer

I agree with most people in saying, I too have fallen out of pedals for the most part, but I am still building other electronic DIY stuff. I have found much satisfaction in synthesis and other ways of creating "music". I have also focused on my gaming console collection from modding to maintaining them. I still come here daily, and to tell you the truth its not all because of the pedals.. its for all the friends I have made here over the years.  There are many here that I genuinely care for and wish them the best, and John, your one of them. Do what makes you happy brother!

Find a hobby that bring you joy again and post about what ever it is in the "Misc DIY Stuff". That way you can still feel connected to the community and not have to force yourself to make pedals.

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

Quote from: selfdestroyer on June 06, 2019, 06:26:43 PM
I agree with most people in saying, I too have fallen out of pedals for the most part, but I am still building other electronic DIY stuff. I have found much satisfaction in synthesis and other ways of creating "music". I have also focused on my gaming console collection from modding to maintaining them. I still come here daily, and to tell you the truth its not all because of the pedals.. its for all the friends I have made here over the years.  There are many here that I genuinely care for and wish them the best, and John, your one of them. Do what makes you happy brother!

Find a hobby that bring you joy again and post about what ever it is in the "Misc DIY Stuff". That way you can still feel connected to the community and not have to force yourself to make pedals.

Thanks man, yeah there's a lot of stuff I still post to FB about what I get up to lately, but don't crosspost here as it's not really on-topic. Lot of modding old Ataris and fettling very old professional video monitors. Even been a car post recently, though I no longer co-own the race car I still help run it and it got a bit bent last outing. But yeah, I'm not going anywhere, just backing out of pedal making.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Willybomb

It'll be sad to see you drop off.  You're a gentleman and a scholar.

pickdropper

Hobbies come and go.  I'm hoping you still hang around here a bit.  I think many people here have gone through similar cycles.
Function f(x)

TFZ

Quote from: pickdropper on June 07, 2019, 04:28:04 AM
Hobbies come and go.  I'm hoping you still hang around here a bit.  I think many people here have gone through similar cycles.

Yes, both within the electronics hobby and in a broader sense. At the moment it is tube amps once again and particularly transformer winding. To be more precise, starting with winding transformers brought me back to building amps, gotta put all that iron somewhere. I never would have expected to be both fascinated and entertained to that degree by putting copper wire on a piece of plastic. But I really enjoy the whole process immensely. I also play piano and a bit of drums besides guitar, so that goes in cycles as well. Same story for sports...

flanagan0718

It's sad to see you go but nice to hear you will still be around. You are once of the builders I have always looked up too. Your graphics are killer and wiring is amazing! But all good things must come to an end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNblueshawk

Good luck to you John. Loved your builds and never had the guts to 'Tex' like you guys did. I just poured the shit all over it and hoped for the best  :o

I've slowed way down but still enjoy it enough to do a few builds here and there so I get it. Building something, patio, bricking steps, bathroom demo remodel coming up etc... and pedals, and hopefully more amps with woodwork, is just in me. It sounds like it is in you too so enjoy what are doing now and into the future.
John

pickdropper

Just to be clear, this doesn't mean you're going back to actually practicing guitar, does it?  I'm sure you can find another hobby to prevent that.
Function f(x)

matmosphere

Quote from: pickdropper on June 07, 2019, 05:52:26 PM
Just to be clear, this doesn't mean you're going back to actually practicing guitar, does it?  I'm sure you can find another hobby to prevent that.

Hahaha, on that note I just went to a workshop on setting up guitars and leveling frets. Did one guitar there and it's playing great now.

Since then I've spent more time reading my notes, acquiring tools, and thinking about what guitar to do next than I've spent playing the lovely guitar I set up.

Thus the cycle begins again

cooder

As everyone said I fully agree your builds will be sorely missed here, great source of inspiration and aspirational setting of the bar.
Also big thanks and thumbs up for all the sharing of information and pcb's etc.... Ultra stoner, boob tubes, judge, xxxx rated graphics and such and all the goodness from Yorkshire stuff.
Great you'll be hanging around here, always good.  8)
BigNoise Amplification

alanp

Oh, and don't you dare take down your website! :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

Quote from: alanp on June 07, 2019, 11:26:13 PM
Oh, and don't you dare take down your website! :)

Website sits on a computer under my telly now. Costs nowt to keep it going so as long as I'm on the internet, it should be.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

LaceSensor

This was me, about 2 years ago I imagine.
Real life catches up with you, dude.   :-[

GL, HF with what you are doing right now and thanks for all the contributions and inspiration