News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The D-Type Preamp Pedal

Started by fair.child, June 11, 2019, 10:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fair.child

Anyone here heard about D Type Preamp pedal from Malin Amp? Made in Arizona.

http://malinamplification.com/preamps/

Personal opinion, I think it's great small preamp, however it costs $799. I was shocked looking the price tag just for preamp point to point. Is there any DIY project similar to this? Or I just can look over Dumble Preamp schematic and turn it as a pedal?

What do you guys think?

thesmokingman

I believe ceriatone offers a smaller wattage (20 watt) dumble clone for $725 ... js
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

fair.child

If it's around $300 just for the preamp, that would be the best.

cooder

You could just build the preamp section using a big enough enclosure to hold a small PT with just enough current supply for two 12AX7 and build it in the same style as Malin did. No need for phase inverter tube if it's meant to be just preamp.
I did that with a Matchless Hotbox and JCM800 preammp section in a box.
BigNoise Amplification

fair.child

Quote from: cooder on June 11, 2019, 04:40:42 PM
You could just build the preamp section using a big enough enclosure to hold a small PT with just enough current supply for two 12AX7 and build it in the same style as Malin did. No need for phase inverter tube if it's meant to be just preamp.
I did that with a Matchless Hotbox and JCM800 preammp section in a box.

Gotta find the schematic to start. I do really want to make it as a board. Once I do the layout, test it, I might be able to share it with DIY community.

dan.schumaker

Shouldn't be that hard to do.  The Dumble tonestack and preamp section isn't that far off from a blackface Fender. 

If you are looking for Dumble schematics, check out www.ampgarage.com

cooder

And layouts you can check out here:
http://www.ceriatone.com/
Will be interesting to see what you come up with, please keep posting about it. 8)
BigNoise Amplification

lars

$799 for a preamp that runs two 12AX7s? That is ridiculous. For one, 12AX7s are the most common, bland, run-of-the-mill preamp tubes out there. There is no "magic" in them by any stretch of the imagination. I love the canned comments on their site:
"...Wow. The harmonics are stunning...".
If somebody wanted to make a great-sounding boutique guitar preamp that at least somewhat justified a high price tag, they would be using something interesting like an EF86 or 5879, followed by something with some punch like a 12AT7. Yes, it's more difficult to design and build properly, but I don't expect an $800 preamp to be "easy", especially when all they did is copy Dumble's designs.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

cooder

Quote from: lars on June 11, 2019, 07:39:10 PM
$799 for a preamp that runs two 12AX7s? That is ridiculous. For one, 12AX7s are the most common, bland, run-of-the-mill preamp tubes out there. There is no "magic" in them by any stretch of the imagination. I love the canned comments on their site:
"...Wow. The harmonics are stunning...".
If somebody wanted to make a great-sounding boutique guitar preamp that at least somewhat justified a high price tag, they would be using something interesting like an EF86 or 5879, followed by something with some punch like a 12AT7. Yes, it's more difficult to design and build properly, but I don't expect an $800 preamp to be "easy", especially when all they did is copy Dumble's designs.
... but it's got the Unicorn rainbow colored farts and all that are attached to the name... so it sells better than the points you are quite rightfully making.
BigNoise Amplification

fair.child

Another hyped, just like the Klon. You know that knowledge is power, so yeah, it does scream overpriced tag.

Willybomb

But, then.... that big arsed preamp pedal isn't going to last on the floor at a bar gig...  This is some serious lawyer level bedroom guitarist stuff right there.

cooder

Quote from: Willybomb on June 11, 2019, 10:34:27 PM
But, then.... that big arsed preamp pedal isn't going to last on the floor at a bar gig...  This is some serious lawyer level bedroom guitarist stuff right there.
And also having full line voltage on the floor in a bar full of drunks sloshing and regurgitating around liquids of various flavors ain't such a good mixture...
Yep, bedroom floor it is...
BigNoise Amplification