News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dunwich Modded HM-2

Started by Hexjibber, June 13, 2019, 03:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hexjibber

Hey all,

Managed to find some time to complete another build, where does the time go these days?

This is one is a Boss HM-2 on a Dunwich Amplification board which contains a few mods to the original. I've still got sockets in a few places while I try out some of Nick's suggestions like increasing the gain and using two red LEDs and a BS170 for the hard clipping section, fun times! It already sounds brutal though, has the classic(?) grindy Swedish death metal tone in there of course but I've also got some massive doom sounds from it, subtle it aint!

Managed to wire all the pots in reverse initially in a late night stupor so that was fun re-wiring them all!  ;D

Reverse etched and sprayed matt black with an orange LED as a wink to the original! Pics...

TGP39

Wow.   This looks doomy.   I love the gutshot. Super job all around. 
-Steve
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

selfdestroyer

Hexjibber

Cheers guys! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dawson

I really like how that finish turned out.

"How much more black could this be?"
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

tcpoint

Super nice build.  Only one problem, it isn't dimed.

cooder

Heavy. Chunky n' nice. Great choice of knobs with the graphics. Sweden would approve.
BigNoise Amplification

JackSkellington

Nice!
I was curious about this pedal. Is the schematic revealed?
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

somnif

Quote from: JackSkellington on June 13, 2019, 11:52:51 PM
Nice!

The HM-2 is "Legendary" among death metal aficionados. Its a mean, nasty, bully of a pedal. It wrecks your tone and spits out hissy garbage at ridiculous levels.

Its also a hell of a lot of fun to play with, its this ridiculous junkyard dog of a thing that is a laugh to just toss around to make your poor amp squeal in distress.

There are a few clone pcb's floating around out there. PedalPCB has one, Aion too, and a few individual folks have made their own versions.

Circuit analysis: https://atomiumamps.tumblr.com/post/139197356031/boss-hm-2-analysis

The schematic is almost silly when you look at it. Soft clipping? Sure, why not, toss 3 diodes the first op-amp stage, make it asymmetrical. Hard clipping? But of course! Pair of silicon's to ground, standard Rat/Dist+/DOD250/etc, classic. And fuck it, toss in some crossover distortion too, and make them germanium for... reasons!  8)

Hexjibber

Quote from: tcpoint on June 13, 2019, 05:46:12 PM
Super nice build.  Only one problem, it isn't dimed.

Haha, I actually thought about that when I was taking the photo!  ;D

Hexjibber

Nice!

There are a couple of projects as mentioned above, the Dunwich build doc also has the schematic if you're interested in that? I don't know if that's the 'done thing' to forward on other people's schematics though? Mind you I guess Nick wouldn't have released it as a DIY project if he didn't want to share it.

JackSkellington

Quote from: somnif on June 14, 2019, 02:19:16 AM
Nice!

The HM-2 is "Legendary" among death metal aficionados. Its a mean, nasty, bully of a pedal. It wrecks your tone and spits out hissy garbage at ridiculous levels.

[...]

There are a few clone pcb's floating around out there. PedalPCB has one, Aion too, and a few individual folks have made their own versions.

Circuit analysis: https://atomiumamps.tumblr.com/post/139197356031/boss-hm-2-analysis

[...]

Thanks for the link. Of course I know the HM-2! :)
I hope to know something more about the mods of your version. Just curiosity. I thouth often to build this pedal, but I was never too much sure.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»