News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wampler Request

Started by spy590, November 02, 2011, 03:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spy590

One of the big Wampler distortion pedals would be a cool advanced build. We already have the Chunk Chunk; so maybe not the Triple Wreck, although this would still be cool.

The SLOstortion looks pretty cool as well as the Pinnacle.

TheCobbenator

There's 3 vero layouts at sabrotone for some, though not the ones you mentioned. I'd love to have some sort of layout for the plextortion...

spy590

I haven't been over there in a while, I need to check it out. I've really got my eye on the SLOstortion, I may break down and buy it before a DIY version comes to fruition. Then again, that wouldn't be very fun would it ;D

TheCobbenator

Haha. Negative! Especially the price tag. I used to own the triple recstortion (one of the original 100) before it was the triple wreck, and that pedal is sick. I'll hopefully get my chunk chunk running this weekend though and I'll see how that stacks up. The SLO looks promising as well. I just can never go back to spending that much on a dirt box.

shawnee

I think the Chunk Chunk is pretty close to the Triplewreck. It's a killer pedal! I have to think that it's the same basic circuit as a Triple Wreck because of the amount of gain and the controls being almost identical. I had a Pinnacle and I like the Chunk Chunk better. It has a lot of gain (which I like) but if you use J201's, it's had to get a lower gain out of it. Raising the Q3 bias up from 4.5v to 7.5 made it a lot quiter so experiment with the bias. If you remove the wire from lug 1 on the presence pot on the Chunk, it's supposed to be closer to an SLO. It gives it just a touch more volume and crunch (just slightly less smooth). I put a SPST switch on mine because it is so easy to do and I like both sounds. I may try a combination of lower gain tanny's and maybe a 500KA gain pot (instead of 1MA) and switch in a series 470K resistor to have a little more of a lower gain option.

TheCobbenator

Sweet. Thanks Shawnee. I was going to put the presence pot on a toggle, but I'll try different  biasing combos, as well.

I'm hoping I like the chunk better. Especially with the SLO mod. The triple rec was a little too smooth and didn't cut in a live mix.

spy590

Awesome Shawnee. I have a preorder in for some chunk chunk boards. I'll give the "SLO" toggle a shot. Are you using shielded wire in your Chunk Chunk?

shawnee

I don't even have mine boxed up yet so it's just standard wire. I will use shielded wire when I box it though. I ordered boxes so I should have this done in a couple of weeks. I didn't come up with the SLO mod but I can't remember who did. It's pretty cool though.

dwstanford

Quote from: TheCobbenator on November 03, 2011, 06:47:19 PM
I used to own the triple recstortion (one of the original 100) before it was the triple wreck, and that pedal is sick. I'll hopefully get my chunk chunk running this weekend though and I'll see how that stacks up.

Let me know how the chunk chunk compares to the triple wreck.  Ive been looking into building one fo them and i cant decide.  They definitely look and sound similar.  If theyre that close, I'll go for the chunk chunk so's i can use one of brian's sick ass boards. 

TheCobbenator

Will do! I need to get that freakin thing wired. It's been looking at me for some time.