News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pickups for a hurdy gurdy?

Started by mjg, June 20, 2019, 10:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

A mate of mine is building a hurdy gurdy... which is really hard to type without autocorrect getting upset.

He has asked me how he would install pickups to connect to a small amp. 

I'm thinking it will be something like a semi-acoustic?  Small microphone or piezo or whatever.  The instrument seems to have different sounds from different sets of strings, so probably needs pickups in multiple locations. 

Anyway, anyone have experience with this kind of instrument?   :o

EBK

In addition to violin-like sounds (plus an almost bagpipe-like drone), performers can also do some little tricks with the speed of the hand crank to add percussive textures. Very interesting instrument.  Saw a sweet video once of someone layering the sounds of a hurdy gurdy using a loop pedal, so it definitely is possible to wire it up -- somehow.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Scruffie

I helped someone who built them in the past, it was a while back but I remember I designed them a 3 channel mixer/preamp for piezo elements, where they located those 3 piezo's though...
Works at Lectric-FX

midwayfair

This question makes me unreasonably happy.

mjg

Yeah, it's certainly an interesting instrument.

Scruffie, if you have a schematic for the mixer/preamp, and you are happy to share, can you post that? Save me reinventing the wheel. 

gordo

A very cool instrument.  My niece's wedding featured a Hurdy Gurdy and having never seen a real one in action before I was blown away.  The sound was amazing.  He just miked it but sitting directly in front of the thing allowed you to hear the stuff the mike didn't do a good job of capturing.  Very interested to see how this plays out.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Scruffie

Quote from: mjg on June 21, 2019, 03:48:39 AM
Yeah, it's certainly an interesting instrument.

Scruffie, if you have a schematic for the mixer/preamp, and you are happy to share, can you post that? Save me reinventing the wheel.
Probably more than you actually need, but sure.
Works at Lectric-FX

mjg

OK, depending on how the guy goes with building his hurdy, I'll post an update if we get it all wired. 

Quote from: Scruffie on June 21, 2019, 04:04:39 PM

Probably more than you actually need, but sure.

Sweet, thanks Scruffie.  Dumb question.  What do the diodes do before each op-amp stage? 

Scruffie

Protects the op amp inputs from voltage spikes above the rails.
Works at Lectric-FX