News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Three new builds (KOT, Muff, Fuzz Face)

Started by dan.schumaker, June 21, 2019, 04:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

Here are three new builds I finished up this week.  Nothing too exciting or ground breaking here.

First off is the Spin Doctor.  This is like a King of Tone, just two Prince's next to eachother (see where I got the name from, I crack myself up  ;D )
1942 Spin Doctor by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

Next is the updated Rampart distortion.  This is a Big Muff with onboard relay bypass and a mids knob.  I built this one for a guy on thegearpage, but he flaked on me.  This one is built to Civil War specs.
1941 Rampart by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

Last is the updated Fracas Fuzz.  This is a silicon Fuzz Face pedal.  I have BC109's in this right now.  I switched the tone control I had on the last version to be an input cap blend, which I feel is better suited to this circuit.
1943 Fracas by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

jimilee

Nice job. The spin doctor is clever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

That spin doctor is so huge!!! I didn't think you could build anything that big ;)

dan.schumaker

Quote from: Matmosphere on June 21, 2019, 05:54:38 PM
That spin doctor is so huge!!! I didn't think you could build anything that big ;)

It was a little disorienting working in something that size  ;D

benny_profane

Impressive and awesome as always! Also surprised to see a big box appearance!

What was your experience with the 109s? I just boxed up a Si FF with BC109Bs, but I'm not sure if I want to stay there.

dan.schumaker

Quote from: benny_profane on June 21, 2019, 06:32:45 PM

What was your experience with the 109s? I just boxed up a Si FF with BC109Bs, but I'm not sure if I want to stay there.

In the previous iteration, I had BC108's in it.  I like the sound of the 109's, I guess I haven't played around with other transistors too much.  I wanted to use the BC109's because that fuzz will be going on my Gilmour board I am working on.  Maybe in another build I'll do BC183's like the EJ Fuzz.

benny_profane

Quote from: dan.schumaker on June 21, 2019, 07:30:03 PM
Quote from: benny_profane on June 21, 2019, 06:32:45 PM

In the previous iteration, I had BC108's in it.  I like the sound of the 109's, I guess I haven't played around with other transistors too much.  I wanted to use the BC109's because that fuzz will be going on my Gilmour board I am working on.  Maybe in another build I'll do BC183's like the EJ Fuzz.

Sounds good. I couldn't get a good match with the 108s I had...the 109s had a good ratio (albeit with rather high hFE). I'm getting some interference when volume and fuzz are maxed out though, so I've gotta see what I can do about that. I think I also want to change the series resistor with the volume pot to get more output.

The EJ is biased super low and is really compressed, right? That'd be interesting. I don't think I'd want that as a main fuzz, but in a small enclosure, it wouldn't be a bad choice to have.

dan.schumaker

There is definitely plenty of volume on tap with this one.  I do have the external bias control on here, so you can bring the voltage down to the EJ level.

Bio77

KMRO

These look so good.  I'm impressed with your detail work in those small enclosures.  Had to look up the civil war big muff . . .

benny_profane

That bias control is handy. I've been putting more fuzz bias controls on the outside lately, but kept this one at two knobs.

I meant to say earlier, I'm really impressed by the integration with the relay switching with your 1590a builds. Very sleek and clever implementation!