News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Woodstork, English Man and Lunar clone

Started by KMRO, June 21, 2019, 10:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KMRO

I finished up three fun pedals this last week.  I've been playing with them all the time and are really starting to enjoy the process.  Not to mention the good fuzz.   I also gave away a pedal I'd made to a guitarist I admire . . . which was a joy in itself. 

Woodstork and English Man

These were both pretty friendly builds and sound amazing together.  Honestly I lost a whole evening to just jamming with these on.  My current favorite sound.   The woodstork sticker is from a patch seller named Fennec.  Good patches from that homie and I managed to put the LED where the skeleton's heart would be.  I don't know if anyone here builds the tayda boards, but I'd up the LED resistor if doing this build - it is blinding. 

Woodstork guts:

English Man's intestines:

And the Lunar Deluxe Clone from pedalpcb:

This one gave me an enormous amount of trouble.  I had failed to order a 5.6n capacitor and didn't want to fudge it.  Then putting it together was one of the most difficult constructions.  I drilled the holes too high (used the template), had to bend the potentiometer legs to not touch the enclosure.  Had to bend the power connectors to put the PCB into the enclosure.  The LED was out of sync and still doesn't come on.  But the sound is really great.  It made me dive into old Pink Floyd tunes and documentaries this morning.  Very inspiring as a pedal to make music with.  8-bit moon sticker is from my homie #JMORG who blessed me with most of the planets.  Trying to figure out which pedal should be the earth?

Moon guts:

Thanks to all the creative folks out there!  Salute to the hard hustling late night distortion fiends and soldering mobstas.

m-Kresol

great builds.
For the LED resistor: I usually go with 4k7 for red, orange, yellow, green and 10k for white and blue
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Willybomb

I used a Tayda Englishman in my Leviathan build.  The pcb works great, I think I used a 10k resistor as I used a RBG LED with the Blue leg clipped off because it's switchable between a Zendrive on the same footswitch.  That's all besides the point though - good builds.

The Tayda pcbs work fine, in case anyone else wants to try them.

RDL68

Well done KMRO.
I just wanted to add I've done a couple of Tayda builds too.
The Tayda Guv'nor sounds great regardless of gear used. Very user friendly all-rounder, just plug it in.
The Tayda Purple Plexi, I found it's very sensitive & dynamic, much fussier with what guitar you use, the pickups, amp choices, whether you roll back the volume etc. That one can sound really great & flexible in the right setup but really mediocre (even totally bad) plugged in with just any gear when no thought is put into it. Depending on playing styles, it can be rewarding when used with some smarts, as in better than all-rounders, but you have to do the homework & put the effort in to get there or you probably wont get anywhere near there with one of these.

mshuptar

I absolutely dig the Woodstork circuit. Of the four fuzzes I've built, it is by far my favorite. It's an integral part of my rig.