News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Puppy Day

Started by jubal81, June 27, 2019, 04:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Brought this big little guy home Monday and wife and I love him to bits. My first puppy - always had rescue dogs all my life.

His name is Banjo and he's 8.5 week old Briard who weighed in at 14.5 pounds at the vet yesterday  :o . Gonna be a big boy. Briards are kind of rare, but they're big, shaggy sheepdogs - almost like the real dog version of Barkley from Sesame Street.

Trying to think of safe things to expose him to so he'll get used to them from the start. Just got the suggestion this morning to go get a kiddie pool, which I think is a great idea.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

selfdestroyer

nzCdog

Banjo!  Cool name.   ;D
He looks like a fine friend in the making ;D

peterc

What a cool puppy! Enjoy your next 10 years with this guy. Really envious....
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

gtr2

:)

I just got a new puppy last week from a rescue after years of holding out from the kids pestering.

Enjoy!
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Tremster

That's a great looking dog, congratulations!

Bret608

Aw! He is super cute, and if he's half as sweet as you former doggo (about whose passing I was sad to hear), he's definitely a keeper. And also, mentioning Barkley is exactly what I needed for a frame of reference.  :D

My younger daughter has for sure been turning up the heat lately as far as wanting a pet...I wish we had less pet allergies in our house! She is kind of thinking of a doge-type dog (Shiba Imu I think?).

lars

Just looked up what a full-grown Briard looks like:

That's awesome. You'll eventually have your own Wookie!
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

peAk

Awesome, real cute.

I prefer dogs over most humans.

timbo_93631

What a great looking pup, good boy material!!!  5 weeks ago our Basset hound delivered 8 lil girls and 1 boy, "Bassadors". Drake, the neighborhood mascot, is the proud papa, a really good boy black Lab.  We are gonna keep 2 and have homes for 3 more, gonna have to find another few.  Nothing better than pups.  We have baby #7 due in August, so it is a sort of nice warmup for the sleepless nights ahead!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jubal81

We're a week in and he's doing great. If we leave the back door open, he's already going out to do his business, though there's still an accident here and there. Long way to go, but not bad for a 10-week-old.

So I looked it up and Chewbacca was based on George Lucas' Alaskan Malamute 'Indiana.' I expect we're going to get a lot of kids wanting to hug him, so we're working hard and starting early on good training.

Quote from: gtr2 on June 28, 2019, 10:46:06 AM
:)

I just got a new puppy last week from a rescue after years of holding out from the kids pestering.

Enjoy!

Nice! Any idea on what breed(s)?

Quote from: timbo_93631 on July 02, 2019, 03:50:06 PM
What a great looking pup, good boy material!!!  5 weeks ago our Basset hound delivered 8 lil girls and 1 boy, "Bassadors". Drake, the neighborhood mascot, is the proud papa, a really good boy black Lab.  We are gonna keep 2 and have homes for 3 more, gonna have to find another few.  Nothing better than pups.  We have baby #7 due in August, so it is a sort of nice warmup for the sleepless nights ahead!

Bassadors? That's excellent! Congrats on the new baby! Just around the corner, too. Older kids big enough to help out around the house?

Quote from: Bret608 on June 28, 2019, 12:47:08 PM
Aw! He is super cute, and if he's half as sweet as you former doggo (about whose passing I was sad to hear), he's definitely a keeper. And also, mentioning Barkley is exactly what I needed for a frame of reference.  :D

My younger daughter has for sure been turning up the heat lately as far as wanting a pet...I wish we had less pet allergies in our house! She is kind of thinking of a doge-type dog (Shiba Imu I think?).

Yeah, we miss Sizzles a lot. Got a place in my heart now for the big, shaggy dogs. As far as allergies go, my ex (a vet) said you can know until exposure, but I bet you could find someone or breeder who'd let you visit a particular breed if you want to see how it goes.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

timbo_93631

Quote from: timbo_93631 on July 02, 2019, 03:50:06 PM

Bassadors? That's excellent! Congrats on the new baby! Just around the corner, too. Older kids big enough to help out around the house?

They are like double long eared and 3/4 leg length Labs, 7 solid black girls with just a little white mark here and there, Bud Jr. the boy is all solid black, and Marshmallow is yellow with a big splash of white on her face between the eyes and a freckled chin.  I am hoping they are less stubborn to train than Magnolia Louise, their mama.  She is a hard headed hound, sweet and loving too.  Just wants to follow her nose, and that's what she's built for, but sometimes it isn't too handy when she gets on a critter trail and disappears in the underbrush for an hour!  Knows her way home and will lay on the back porch the rest of the day once she's had her adventure though.

My 10 year old and 8 year old sons are really pitching in, especially Hank, the oldest.  He turned 10 last month and it was like a switch flipped, eager to help, to try and learn how to do now stuff.  Really cool to see him mature a little, though he is very much still a boy more than a young man.

And yes, 3rd daughter is imminent.  About 5 weeks to go.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

midwayfair

Aww.

Fully expect a full build report over the next few months.

bamslam69

Cute as.
We want to get a dog, but we have a lot of issues that hinder the adoption:
1. We only have a small backyard.
2. We can't agree on what type, but a rescue mongrel of medium-size will be a good all-rounder.
3. My daughter has a dog phobia, but the best cure is to get a puppy.

I'm a big fan of kelpies and cattle dogs (had them before growing up), but it'd be cruel putting one in a small backyard.