News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Worth switching op amps on a Klon Klone?

Started by dogfish, July 11, 2019, 07:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogfish

Has anyone spent time switching out the op amps on their klon clones? Any advice? I've been using boosts a lot lately with bass to thicken up the sound and just dusted off an old Klon I built from a board that was going around BYOC a while ago.

I also just read a long talkbass post from someone who swears by switching in OPA2134PA and OPA2277PA for the TL072 op amps.

I need to order those two and give it a shot, but wanted to just see what people have tried.

For this build, I've already switched in caps that are better for bass frequencies.

TGP39

I've tried the Burr Brown chips.  It sounded nice, but so did the TL072.   Only your ears can tell you if it's worth it.  👍🏻
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

dogfish

Do you remember how the sound was different at all?

Here's what I've read by one person about the switch... haven't read about anyone else switching so just wanted to see if there's some perspective here:

OPA2134PA OPA2277PA

This is the one for bass guitar. The key seems to be setting the basic voice in the buffer, then retaining the desireable harmonic content of the overdrive post clipping. Also, as other configurations suggested, the two chips, albeit in different sections of the circuit, have to play nicely together sonically. Together, the focus and solidity of the OPA2134AP in the buffer, then the articulate yet thick snarl of the OPA2277PA post clipping, does both really well.

midwayfair

Burr Brown chips are usually designed for fidelity. Do you want more fidelity in your distortion device?

dogfish

I want to use it more as a boost/tone favor with the Klon flavor but with more mid/bass than treble.

lars

Quote from: dogfish on July 12, 2019, 02:27:26 PM
I want to use it more as a boost/tone favor with the Klon flavor but with more mid/bass than treble.
The boost tone favor with a big Klon flavor...it's not the chip, it's my burr-brown saver. I gots more treble than a lime green saber. Just tube that screamer with a dope fresh neighbor.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

thesmokingman

Quote from: dogfish on July 12, 2019, 01:25:02 PM
Do you remember how the sound was different at all?

Here's what I've read by one person about the switch... haven't read about anyone else switching so just wanted to see if there's some perspective here:

OPA2134PA OPA2277PA

This is the one for bass guitar. The key seems to be setting the basic voice in the buffer, then retaining the desireable harmonic content of the overdrive post clipping. Also, as other configurations suggested, the two chips, albeit in different sections of the circuit, have to play nicely together sonically. Together, the focus and solidity of the OPA2134AP in the buffer, then the articulate yet thick snarl of the OPA2277PA post clipping, does both really well.
I try not to let myself get dragged into component debates but ... "basic voice in the buffer" What?  Let's nod and smile because this is a gift that keeps on giving.
"retaining the desirable harmonic content of the overdrive" ... This is where we hit the whistle and blow the play dead. The very reason those chips are "superior" to a lowly tl072 is that they don't add as much "harmonic content" but we're not done yet because these op amps need to "play nicely together sonically."
the op amps don't care what the next op amp in the circuit is because the stages of the amplifier (remember, that's what this device is) are properly coupled.  the "play nicely together" concern would be power-supply driven and who needs more current or voltage or both.
then this person goes on to talk about the snarl of a hi-fi chip ... I just can't

this is diy so do what thou wilt, but breaking the klon down into circuit blocks you've got the first op amp as a buffer and a non-inverting op amp ... the tl072 is a better choice than a hi-fi chip ... certainly going to be more capable of adding harmonic content, if that is your thing and that is going to get clobbered by the hard clipping with low forward voltage that follows
the second op amp is a summing amp and active tone control. there's nothing wrong with going hi-fi so long as you have the power (volts, amps) to do so. cost vs benefit is another matter. also let's not forget that low forward voltage hard clipping that is in line before this ...
I mentioned that twice because certain aspects of design get treated like an afterthought. yeah, you might improve on the purely clean tone of this pedal ever so slightly and you might be golden eared enough to hear it but it doesn't take much turn of the gain knob before the op amp is outputting enough signal to involve the clipping diodes. plus there's three signal paths in this pedal, two of which gain exactly nothing by changing op amps or clipping diodes.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

ahiddentableau

Quote from: lars on July 13, 2019, 01:07:18 AM

The boost tone favor with a big Klon flavor...it's not the chip, it's my burr-brown saver. I gots more treble than a lime green saber. Just tube that screamer with a dope fresh neighbor.

This made my morning.

dogfish

The description was, um, yeah. Good perspective so far!

gordo

Somebody give me a beat!

I sort of figured about the only thing you'd notice about a more upscale chip would be less noise.  Given a klone is not a noisy circuit probably little return on the investment.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

dogfish

I should also admit that like a dope, I ordered some new op amps yesterday to test it all first hand.

EBK

Quote from: dogfish on July 13, 2019, 09:55:08 AM
I should also admit that like a dope, I ordered some new op amps yesterday to test it all first hand.
That sounds like science.  Nothing wrong with that!  8)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

alanp

Give it a try, but remember confirmation bias. Or whatever it's called.

Like when someone buys a Line 6 Spider and insists it sounds good. (Saying otherwise implies poor investment and judgement on their part.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

dogfish

I can already hear the difference (pre delivery)!

EBK

Quote from: alanp on July 13, 2019, 04:24:16 PM
Like when someone buys a Line 6 Spider and insists it sounds good.
I actually have one of those!  I asked my wife to give it away for free through the "Buy Nothing" group she is a part of after I got my $15 Dean amp working.  She was unsuccessful.   ::)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber