News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Runoffgroove Ginger - how to get more gain?

Started by Tremster, July 13, 2019, 05:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tremster

The Runoffgroove Ginger is intended to be an Ampeg in a Box, primarily for Bass, but this pedal has been on my board for years, I love it, it's perfect for guitar! Thick yet open, dynamic, super effective Tone control.
The one thing though: it could have a bit more gain. I always have to hit it with a booster.

Mine is built on a TH custom board, but you can get them from Fuzzdog, OSH Park, and other places.
http://diy.thcustom.com/shop/rog-ginger-v1-0-pcb/
The TH Custom doc says: "The original circuit features 1N5818 diodes for D6/D7. I have fun listening to it with the same red LEDs in this place."
Mine does, indeed, have 1N5818 in D6/D7. Does this affect gain much?

Question: What could I do to squeeze a bit more drive out of that pedal without it changing its character at all?

Thanks!

midwayfair

Gain is the amount of signal. Putting a boost in front adds gain.

If you mean clipping distortion, then yes, the diodes will affect the amount of distortion. You can use diodes with a lower forward voltage and you'll get more clipping. If you use LEDs that will do the opposite of what you want.

Tremster

Thanks. Which type of diodes would be a good start?

thesmokingman

looks like the schottky diodes have a Vf between .55 V to .875 V ... you could double those up, go with 2N7000 +bat41 pairs, or  3mm LEDs if you want more volume and less clipping ... of those choices, I think the MOSFET would be smoother and more amp-like
if you want more clipping you could go with 1n400x rectifier diodes, bat41, or germanium ... I think the germanium sound better, even if doubled up for a more reasonable Vf.
now I kinda want to build this thing with mosfet clipping ... damn it, another project
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Tremster

Quote from: thesmokingman on July 14, 2019, 11:33:34 AM
looks like the schottky diodes have a Vf between .55 V to .875 V ... you could double those up, go with 2N7000 +bat41 pairs, or  3mm LEDs if you want more volume and less clipping ... of those choices, I think the MOSFET would be smoother and more amp-like
if you want more clipping you could go with 1n400x rectifier diodes, bat41, or germanium ... I think the germanium sound better, even if doubled up for a more reasonable Vf.
now I kinda want to build this thing with mosfet clipping ... damn it, another project

Great, thanks! That's a good starting point.

Build it, it's worth it!