News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Envirotex Question

Started by Bio77, July 19, 2019, 12:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

I'm planning to use Envirotex on my next project.  I usually put my graphics on an un-drilled box and then drill.  I'm wondering if I can drill through Envirotex or if it is better to put it on afterward?  Does it crack?

benny_profane

I haven't had experience drilling though envirotex, but I wouldn't recommend it. When I use envirotex, I'm always putting it on top of a water slide. I drill, apply waterslide, let it dry, remove holes from decal, and then put envirotex on. Since the ET is relying on the waterslide for enclosure adherence on the top face, it can be prone to lifting if it's pulled up at all. I would think rotational force could also cause lifting. It can crack—particularly if the application is very thin—but I've only had this happen when I had to remove an application and start over.

DLW

Bio77

I'm planning to use this with a no film decal.  I started with a painted enclosure and sanded out/polished a spot.  I wanted to have silver behind a portion of the graphic.  The problem is that the sanded part is indented and looks weird.  I was hoping that the ET would level everything out. 

Thanks for the input! I'll put it on after the drilling.

benny_profane

I thought about it a bit more, you'd definitely crack it if you tried to center punch it (and probably begin to drill). With pedals, the application is so thin so it doesn't behave the same way as if you were sealing a piece of wood/furniture.