News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion Vector Delay

Started by mjcyates, July 13, 2019, 06:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjcyates

So I decided to try one of the Aion kits since they were on sale. I chose the Vector which is their take on the Deep Blue Delay. It was a very easy build and the end product is very professional. The hardest part of the build was getting the stupid PT2399 chip into the socket >:(. Pedal sounds great.

alanp

Wow.

Were the cables already crimped onto the connectors?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mjcyates

Yep just had to solder the other ends to the board. Very well thought out kit with high quality components. When I first saw the kits I thought they were more pricey than I wanted to pay. Then I actually priced out building sourcing my own and the price was really not that much more. Plus the end product is just as professional if not more so than a lot of production pedals.

slacker775

I picked up a Helios (Proco Rat) kit to build with my kid and these kits really are quite pro.  I've built a bunch of pedals so I can largely get by with a PCB and a BOM, but these kits cover everything and look top notch when done.  The docs cover everything you could want and the wiring harnesses are a great time saver.  I've always hated the tedious wiring that can be involved with taking a pedal to completion.

aion

Thanks for giving them a shot and very glad to hear you liked them!

The design goal was to cut out all of the pain points of building pedals. Wiring was one of the biggest. The kits are easy enough for a beginner, not because they're over-simplified at all, but just because they eliminate some of the tediousness and the steep learning curve. And that means they're also a lot of fun for seasoned builders due to all the unique aspects & methodologies of the build.

...And of course there's the nefarious hidden motive: making it so enjoyable to build the kits that you have a hard time going back to the traditional way! ;)

mjcyates

I have to admit I could get used to it. Also for me I have never put in enough time and am not really interested in coming up with a professional way to do graphics and your kits take care of that!