News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Attaching velcro on this type of can

Started by vicfiveleven, July 17, 2019, 06:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicfiveleven

Hello all.  This is my first post. I have already built some pedals and tried my hand on boxing circuits in a small tincan. After finishing two of these builds I was wondering how to attach the velcro under this type of tincan. You see, the bottom of the can is not flush with the bottom of the walls. Any ideas? I was thinking of drilling and screw on the velcro but I'm afraid the can might twist or bend since the bottom part of the can is thin.

Here are some pictures of the build. any help is greatly appreciated.

Axldeziak

Glue together layers of cardboard to reach the height you need, (cereal box or similar.) Stick to box with double sided sticky tape, stick velcro to cardboard.
A big enough spacer cut to shape would support the entire bottom from flexing.

vicfiveleven

Thank you for the reply Axldeziak.  I've had not so good experiences with sticky tape or super glued velcro where it comes off if ever I take out the pedal.  I always move pedals from two pedalboards, a small one (3-4 pedals) and big one (8-10 pedals).

I guess there's no other option huh?  Do I need to sand the bottom of the can so the tape/superglue will stick?  It won't stick well on shiny surfaces, right?  I've always attached velcro on the enclosure screws every since I stopped tape/gluing them.

EBK

Could probably use rare earth magnets to stick that too.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

thesmokingman

fill the bottom with epoxy ... could add some much-needed mass. once it has cured you can add the hook in loop
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

jimilee

The industrial Velcro is pretty thick, you shouldn't have any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

I'd say drill some little holes and drew on a piece of hardboard or mdf with a few little nuts and screws.

I'd be more worried about it bending when your lifting the Velcro appart

vicfiveleven

Thank you all for the suggestions.  What Matmosphere said is exactly what I'm worried about now.  I guess I need to do thesmokingman's suggestion, put epoxy on the bottom.  Should be able to pull it out from the board without worrying if the can would bend each time I move the pedal.  How do you make epoxy stick on that surface?  Should I sand it rough?

thesmokingman

you shouldn't need to prep that surface for epoxy
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

vicfiveleven

Just bought epoxy and will apply on the bottom directly. This might make the bottom of the pedal sturdier. hehe thanks a lot guys.