News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VFE-MB Modular Mini Mega

Started by Aentons, July 18, 2019, 07:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

Test fitting the pots and boards. I had actually built the alpha dog in a 1590b with the board mounted jacks and power so I had to modify it for modularity. The scream and redhorse we're new build just for this.

You can see the center screw column had to be ground out with the dremel. Doh...

Aentons

There Will Be Blood...

Yes, there is a blood stain on my Scream board

Aentons

Here are the 2" 10 connector Molex ribbon cables I used. They are scored so you can just pull them apart with your fingers. I'm pretty sure these are the same type (except shorter) that Peter used in the production builds.

Aentons

Getting ready to attach the pots for the Scream and Red Horse. I happened to have all the correct custom pots used in the production builds for both pedals.

Aentons

Fitting the hardware. I should have used enclosed jacks but I didn't have any and forgot to order them. I did have some switchcraft mono, so in they went. They are a tight fit against the enclosure face. Since the switch boards are free floating and could short against the jacks, these will likely be changed at some point.

I had a power jack pin bend on me after I got it installed. Not sure how that happened or where I got these from

Aentons

I tried this super brittle cheap plastic sheet for the faceplates at first. It didn't go very well. 3 of the 6 were destroyed during drilling even stepping thru about 6 different bit sizes.

Aentons

This was the first try with just the plastic and the clear sticker paper on top. They were a bit too crooked and had cracks and stuff so I decided to redo them. I thought about reverse printing and sticking it to the underside of the plastic for added protection but I decided not to.

I had to drill out the black knobs for the RH to make them 1/4" and now they rotate a little crooked.. whoops

Aentons

This stuff worked much better and was way easier to work with. It was not nearly as brittle and generally much more forgiving

Aentons

I cut the plastic, sticker and vinyl all separately with an exacto knif and a straight edge over cardboard and they seemed to fit ok. Edges are not perfect, especially on the holes but it was good enough for a first try.

I used the first face as a test to see what water would do to the ink on the stickers. This was just smearing with wet hands.

Aentons

Topped it off with the gold screw treatment.

Quote from: Daniel Plainview
I'm finished