News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Klein Bottle SMD Question

Started by Masochist, July 25, 2019, 04:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masochist

Just started assembling my Klein Bottle! I have some SMD questions though..

I'm totally inexperienced when it comes to SMD but regardless I decided to challenge myself! Anyway, I soldered all the chips in and I thought I would use the continuity tester on each pin to make sure there were no bridges. I found that on a few of the chips the continuity tester was beeping on the first couple of pins. I tried using a wick to attempt to remedy this but had no luck.

So I decided to get a hot air rework station to remove the chips and clean up the surface in order to try again. My question is will I damage the IC's removing them this way? I'm hoping I can reuse the same chips and just be a bit more careful 2nd time around. Any advice appreciated!

EBK

Some of the adjacent pins are actually supposed to be connected.  I wouldn't recommend trying to fix every one of those "bridges" without checking the schematic first.

My board with the SMD chips presoldered has multiple big solder blobs bridging some pins in a very obvious way.  I was horrified until I discovered that this was completely intentional.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Masochist

Thanks for your reply! Do you remember where the blobs were by any chance? I've included a picture.. they all seem to have a 'bridge' in exactly the same place: the first 2 pins from the left, bottom row. So pins 1 & 2 of the OPA1604's and pins 5 & 6 of the OPA1602 @ IC9.

I tried looking at the schematic but I really don't know what I'm looking at :( Was looking for PIN numbers of the ICs on there like in other schematics I've seen. I really need to put some time into learning to read a schematic properly! :/

EBK

The lower left pins on the larger chips should definitely be bridged, so you are good there.  I can't tell from my pics of the other.  I'll pull up the schematic in a bit....

Edit:
Ok, I can confirm, pins 1 and 2 of each of your circled chips, i.e., pins at lower left, should be bridged. 
Make sure your IC9 is oriented correctly. I can't see which way you have it in your pic, but lower left should be pin 1.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Masochist

Oh jeez I was worried about putting them in the wrong way :/ I figured the line on the chip would line up with the writing on the board. Is this correct? Looks like I might need the rework station after all!! :/

By the way, thank you so much for taking the time to investigate this for me! Can you tell me where on the schematic tells you pins 1 and 2 are connected so maybe I can learn where to look in the future?

EBK

Annoyingly, the schematic didn't give me that information because the pins weren't numbered.  The PCB trace diagram shows the connections though and has the outlines of the ICs.  I assumed that it matched the finished board.  I can open mine up to double check if you'd like.

Masochist

If you don't mind that'd be really helpful! Hopefully they are the same ICs that I have.. but if you could confirm the orientation in regards to the line printed on the IC's that would be really helpful! Thanks again for your help mate :)

EBK

Masochist

Thanks man I'll have to correct that with the rework station. Hopefully I don't destroy the chip in the process. What about IC13 and the other 3 OPA1604's?

EBK

The orientation of the chips in this image is correct:

For chips that just have a line, that corresponds to the pin 1 end (replaces the half-moon indicator).

Masochist

So this is where I am confused.. I figured the line ie. marker for pin 1 would be aligned against the text for ICx. Like for IC9 I put the line closest to the text 'IC9'. So I guess the opposite is true? I'm really confused haha :/

EBK

Yes, don't go by the text.  Use the half-moon indicators.  Is IC9 the only one you have flipped around?

Masochist

Fuck! I see them now! I feel really stupid :/ no it looks like I fucked up IC13 aswell. Damn, thanks so much for your help, I really am a moron! Wish me luck not cooking the chips with the hot air! Any tips there?

EBK

I've never had to remove a SMD chip before.  I do know (I use that word very loosely) that some of these kinds of devices are moisture sensitive and absorbed moisture can cause failure during rework heating (by turning into steam and cracking the carrier, I believe).  You would know if you have such sensitive chips by how they were packaged when you received them (sealed package with a moisture indicator card or a bizarre instruction to install the chip within a certain timeframe).

Good luck!

Masochist

Yes they did come in packaging like that. I think I'll play it safe and just get replacement chips and take the loss as a learning experience. Thanks again man.