What is the best/optimal/preferred control layout (knobs and switches) and why?

Started by Aentons, July 28, 2019, 11:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

I know the 3 knob triangle is the classic and each layout really depends on the circuit and its capabilities, but I'm looking for opinions on if there is generally something more preferable, like if you had to pick a standard or two. How many knobs, switches, what size, staggered, rotary, etc.. Give examples or pics if you can please... like 4 knobs in a square, 3 big 3 little vfe style, 2 rows of 6 like EQD and Chase Bliss. Also, some are tweakers and some like to keep it simple, so please state if you slant one way or the other.

EBK

NEVER convince yourself that there is a best way!  ;)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

davent

I'd do it different everytime, one - to keep it interesting, - two based on what was dictated by the individual pedal. And never let pcb mounted parts dictate where i'll put those pots and switches.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Aentons

I'm coming at it more from a user interface/ usability point of view rather than circuit design. It's a given that could/should be different depending on whatever... 😀

So just for fun... Hypothetically... If you had to pick one or two configurations that you had to use for everything? Which, and why?

EBK

If I had to pick one master layout?
Two knobs, side by side, on a 1590B.  One knob controls the effect parameters, and the other controls output level.  You can add many other controls, but you are trading away elegance when you do so.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber