News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fuzz Face Question

Started by skypn, August 04, 2019, 10:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypn

I have just bread boarded a fuzz face, and although the fuzz sounds great, it only kicks in the final third of the pot's range. Is this normal, or do I maybe have a bad pot? I am using a 1K audio pot for the fuzz, but I did try a 1K linear, but only a slight difference. Also I am using a Bass as my input, as I don't have a 6 string available.
Don't know if it's related, but I get different amounts of fuzz depending on how I pluck the string. I am using notes that are in the range of a 6 string.
TIA
Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake

benny_profane

Fuzz faces definitely bunch up with linear pots near the end of the rotation—that'll be even more extreme with an audio pot. Try a reverse log (i.e., 1kC) pot to make the distribution a bit more even. Take a look at the sweep graphs of the three different tapers if you want to get a better idea of what's going on there.

It's also expected to get different response from different picking dynamics.

skypn

OK, I know how to try a different pot,
off to to Love My Switches
THX

skypn

Thx Benny, I will post the results

benny_profane

Sure, no problem

Here's graph of the different potentiometer tapers:

The whole article is quite interesting.

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm

skypn

Benny,
  First, thx for the link, it was very informative. I tried the reverse audio pot, and yes, much better results. During the course of my travels, I found that the trans I was using weren't all they could be, and swapped them out with a known good "set". Much better. My next step is to test the gain of all the trans l have in my stash, and match them up in pairs, then swap them out a pair at a time until l find the set(s) l like.