News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Train I ride...

Started by cooder, August 06, 2019, 12:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

.... 16 coaches long.

I do love me some steam locos. So time to make some boxes with a bit of steam action on it.
Full Blast is Pedalpcb Hyped Fuzz, certainly a full on type of fuzz. Two different unique fuzz voicings and a boost in middle position of switch.

Acrylic faceplates over laser decal. Relay bypass courtesy of 1776 finishline pcb.

Runaway Train is Pedalpcb Derailer circuit, aimed at the high gain Marshall type grind of Trainwreck soundz.

The build doc call for OPA2134 op amps which I will give a go once I have them on handm for now I chucked in some TL072 to stoke the fire.

BigNoise Amplification

Adam_DIY

They look excellent I must have a go at an acrylic faceplate instead of envirotex soon.  How do you tap the holes for the corner bolts Cooder?

cooder

Cheers! I did a tutorial on the faceplate thing here
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=28358.0
the corner holes are drilled 2.5mm and then tapped to 3mm thread. I just have a hand tap for it.
You can see the tap I use in lower part of picture here:
BigNoise Amplification

jjjimi84

Really nice job, I love the artwork. The derailer is a great pedal with so many sounds in it.

On a side note, I work for the railroad and had to help pilot a steam train for two days. It was such a neat experience but it was the hottest days i have ever experienced in my life. Mid summer in Illinois with this monster engine just pumping away doing 50 mph down the tracks, even with the windows open you were just dripping in sweat.

Leevibe

Adam_DIY

Thanks Cooder I've just ordered some acrylic to have a go on my next build instead of envirotex.

pickdropper

Very clean, particularly considering the stacked switch board.

I dig the acrylic cover plates. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

cooder

Quote from: Adam_MD on August 07, 2019, 03:50:40 AM
Thanks Cooder I've just ordered some acrylic to have a go on my next build instead of envirotex.
Hope it works well for you!
I had a lucky score at an auction where I got a sizeable pile of acrylic, various plastic sheets and alu plastic composite for $ 5 plus GST... happy recycling...
So you will see more on my builds. I find it less messy than envirotex and use it also for amp faceplates where envirotex would probably be a total PITA to put directly on a chassis. Ialso like the fact that I could remove it later and replace it without too much hassle, not that I needed it yet.
As in the tutorial: drilling the holes for pots etc into acrylic I use a dremel with a dentist type router bit to open up the holes rather than a spiral drill bit in hand drill or so. The spiral drill bits you usually use for metal and things can make the acrylic crack and split too easily in my experience.
BigNoise Amplification

Adam_DIY

Hmm I don't have a dremel just some stepped drill bits.  I picked up 5 small lexan sheets from a local supplier for just under £6 so im going to have a go with those.  Each one should be big enough for 2 125b builds or 1 1590bb.

If I break a few Ill look into getting a dremel.  I love the finish from envirotex but fancy trying something new.

cooder

Quote from: Adam_MD on August 08, 2019, 03:15:15 PM
Hmm I don't have a dremel just some stepped drill bits.  I picked up 5 small lexan sheets from a local supplier for just under £6 so im going to have a go with those.  Each one should be big enough for 2 125b builds or 1 1590bb.

If I break a few Ill look into getting a dremel.  I love the finish from envirotex but fancy trying something new.
I guess it's just a matter of trial and error, first do a bit with offcut sizes for practise I'd say before you stuff up a good one. Having said that, it's not such a big deal to break one, the material is not that expensive and you just start again.
I do cut the acrylic to size with a table saw and put a piece of sacrificial mdf thin board (like 4 mm thick or so, whatever is in the offcut bin) to minimise tear out on the sides. I do cut the faceplate slightly oversize, like 2mm overhang on sides, and then sand it down to size with beltsander as shown in tutorial.
But it's ultimately always a bit of trialing things and see what your best process becomes when you play around with what you have.
This is just hints from what works for me.
BigNoise Amplification