News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Treble cut mod for EQD acapulco gold

Started by vicfiveleven, August 07, 2019, 06:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicfiveleven

https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2015/11/earthquaker-devices-acapulco-gold.html

Finished wiring this up but haven't boxed it yet. I made just the one knob version and at full volume on my guitar even with the one knob on the circuit at 8-9 oclock the sound is too trebly. I used two les pauls on this and it really hurts my ears. Any one tried adding a treble cut switch? or what do I need to change here to lessen treble, the 4n7 cap? lower the value? I didn't want to add the gain pot coz I wanted the pedal to look simple on a 1590A enclosure.

JackSkellington

Maybe a low pass filter at the end of the circuit?
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

vicfiveleven

Good suggestion Jack. Will do that after I try and connect a bmp tone stack in the circuit and see if it changes the tone.  Only problem is if I make tonestack on vero, I'm afraid it won't fit the 1590a or could be a tight squeeze.  But then there is the problem of adding another pot. Wanted just one big knob on this build.  maybe a 9mm pot will do.

Anyway I tried the pedal on my LPs with PAF-like pickups and seems that the low strings sounds round and muddy.  It's like treble and bass are all on full.  I listened to videos of DIY builds of this pedal and they sounded like they can chug on this.  I should've tried this on my ibanez with hot pups.

Also, I changed the the 4n7 cap to 10nf and it took away the sharp treble but now it became more muddy.

JackSkellington

Quote from: vicfiveleven on August 08, 2019, 08:32:13 AM
Good suggestion Jack. Will do that after I try and connect a bmp tone stack in the circuit and see if it changes the tone.  Only problem is if I make tonestack on vero, I'm afraid it won't fit the 1590a or could be a tight squeeze.
Yes, a bmp tone stack needs a bit of space, indeed I suggested just a simple RC low pass filter, like you can see here:
Quote from: benny_profane on August 08, 2019, 11:39:37 AM

http://www.muzique.com/schem/filter.htm

Actually, I'm trying to do the same thing on another LM386 based circuit. :D

If you have some doubts about the sound of your circuit try to check it, in case there's something wrong.

vicfiveleven

I saw a simple schematic about bmp tone control and built it on vero.  Actually my first time to convert a schematic to vero but still, it was 7x5 size and no matter what I do, it was still difficult to put in the 1590a. So I'll try the low pass filter. 

I consider myself still a newbie about everything regarding pedal building.  I keep learning what I can every step of the way.  So please bear with me, still a noob.  So I've read some of the links you gave me and was wondering if there was any way to just add a switch to activate the low pass. Parts/values will be set in the switch on and no need for 100k pot and then switch to volume pot IN.  I saw somewhere in youtube a guy who showed the guts of his pedal w/c he wired a low pass filter, but I couldn't see it clearly.

Thanks Jack and benny.

vicfiveleven

Holy !@#% I just accidentally found out why this build sounds bad.  I was dialing the only knob near zero! I tested it right after I got home and thought, let's just try and crank this up. and? Instant face melting distortion. Great for full on power chords! I had no idea! First time I tested it, volume scared the hell out of everyone in the house so I tried to look for almost unity volume and thought that was it.  I was using it the wrong way. lol

note though, I cranked it to full and I heard a radio station...  ;D

JackSkellington

I was going to ask about the volume knob, but I didn't! ;D I guess, indeed, that the volume pot change the sound of our pedals, at least bit. The volume master in the pedals is not so linear how someone could think. Generally, the volume pot at low setting adds resistance between circuit and output and get no resistance at max setting.

In case it could be still useful, in my thread here http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=29489.msg289869#msg289869 vasilis suggest something about his Acapulco Gold. ;)