News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Klein bottle capacitor voltage

Started by befey, August 08, 2020, 07:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

befey

A couple of the capacitors on the BOM link to 16V skus on mouser.

680uF C33 and the 10000 uF Cmod cap.

Is it going to be an issue that these are rated 16V if I try to run the pedal at 18V?

jimilee

If it's in the BOM, I wouldn't think so, what's the voltage when it hits the caps I wonder. I used the BOM when I built mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

befey

benny_profane

The Klein bottle is designed to work at 9 or 18v. Check the schematic, those caps aren't seeing Vc. The mod cap was specifically introduced to deal with noise at 18v.

From Peter in re C33:

QuoteYes, the 680u cap [C33] is for Vref, which runs at half the voltage of the input power. So even if you power it at 18V, the cap is only seeing a 9V difference between the legs. The 150u caps are rated for 25V because they see the full 18V across them.

befey

befey

As I'm still populating the board, I thought it'd be good to ask before I solder this cap in....

Since the giant 10000 uf cap is meant to add capacitance to the smaller 680 uf.... Can I just solder the 10000 where the 680 is supposed to be and leave the 680 out? Will that be enough capacitance?

I figure that's easier to do now than putting it where it would go for the mod.