News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

adding switch to interrupt power

Started by ckim715, August 18, 2019, 07:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckim715

Just to double check my thought, if I put an on/off switch between the 9v socket and the pcb, I can use that as a power kill switch to the pedal, right? I have a Harbinger One and I like to keep it off until I know that I am going to use it for a song so as to maximize the lifespan of the lightbulb. Thanks!
-Charlie

madbean

You definitely do not want to be toggling power on and off in a loud volume situation. It's overkill, IMO. The lamp should last a very very long time.

ckim715

Oh I don't play out live; the univibe largely just sits on my board and is very rarely used. I'm just tired of fishing around for the 9v plug from underneath my pedaltrain every time I want to plug it in; figure I could just leave it plugged in and wire in a switch to turn it on for the once in a blue moon that I do want to kick it on. 
-Charlie

madbean

Quote from: ckim715 on August 19, 2019, 06:50:55 AM
Oh I don't play out live; the univibe largely just sits on my board and is very rarely used. I'm just tired of fishing around for the 9v plug from underneath my pedaltrain every time I want to plug it in; figure I could just leave it plugged in and wire in a switch to turn it on for the once in a blue moon that I do want to kick it on.

Understood. Yeah, an SPDT is what you'd use. Wire the + pad from the board to the middle lug of the SPDT. Wire one outside lug to a 1M resistor that is connected to ground. Wire the other outside lug to the + of your DC jack. This way when the power is turned off your DC coupling caps connect to the 1M resistor and will drain off any remaining charge gradually. It will also help prevent a sudden noise/pop if you accidentally turn the power off when playing.

ckim715

-Charlie