News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

working on a tychobrahe parapedal clone. Some Modifications?

Started by mikef, September 01, 2019, 11:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikef

Hullo! Well, at last there is a pcb for the clone of the very, Iomi-esque, tychobrahe parapedal available from Pedalpcb.https://www.pedalpcb.com/product-category/wah/ I was lucky to get a nice 2w dual gang 10k pot for my build.($16.99-ouch!)
I know Chicago Iron works has a dead on clone called the Parachute, but I am intrigued at the wilson effects clone http://www.wilsoneffects.com/FreakerWah.html and its mods, this from a description on the page, There is an added six position Q switch that adjusts the filter settings of the wah pedal. These range from a high filter sweep to a deep filter sweep and everything else in between. It doesn't stop there. There is also and added sweep knob that allows you to open up the Freaker's sweep to it's maximum width or narrow it down to a thin filter sweep. We have also added an external boost knob to boost the filter above unity gain if needed. The V2 has additional volume available via the volume/boost control at the heel of the pedal as well as a mini toggle located under the treadle of the pedal that allows the user to choose between the original function of the pedal or you can now eliminate the volume drop at the heel of the sweep via this toggle. I am wondering if they could be implemented on my clone build?Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Scruffie

At it's heart it's just a state variable filter with an inverting op amp input (like the mutron III but without the envelope) you could have bandpass/highpass/lowpass outputs, there's caps to set the range, you can increase the gain in the input op amp feedback loop, one of the resistors sets the Q etc. Just research SVF's and breadboard.
Works at Lectric-FX

mikef

Thanks,Scruf! Yeah, I had said to myself,best to grab the data sheet on those dual ICs and then see what sorta of cap/resistor fanagelin I could get into..............

gordo

For anyone that hasn't heard one of these beasts in the wild check out Robin Trower's "For Earth Below" album. Peppered all over it.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

mattc

Quote from: gordo on September 01, 2019, 08:31:54 PM
For anyone that hasn't heard one of these beasts in the wild check out Robin Trower's "For Earth Below" album. Peppered all over it.

Also, Geezer used it on the intro to Black Sabbath's N.I.B.