News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1590A Content - Boutique Drive, Yellow Compressor, Harmonic Trem & More!

Started by dan.schumaker, September 13, 2019, 06:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

Here is what I have been up to lately...

Robot Zookeeper - This is based on this seasons pedal du jour on TGP, the DRV 1981.  Basically its a RAT and a Klon buffer.  I added a clipping switch to go from the diode clipping to LED clipping.  It does sound really good, I can see what people are talking about.  I feel it might be a little bright with the diodes, but I like the crunch and growl I get with the LEDs.  I would have had this one done a few weeks ago, but I made a bonehead move of laying out the volume pot backwards   >:(  (And on that subject, I have been on a bad streak of laying out pots backwards on my board designs, I have never done that before, and I have 3-4 boards in my last two batches I have done that on!)
1965 Robot Zookeeper by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

Amarillo Compressor - My favorite compressor that I have played through is the Diamond Compressor.  This is probably my third attempt to get it to fit in a 1590A, and I am glad I was able to make it work.  I played this one against my Lectric FX Zirconia Comp, and this one sounds just as good.  I am glad to be able to have this one to be able to add to my next 1590A pedalboard.
1963 Amarillo by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

Hypnos Tremolo - I've been wanting to get a harmonic tremolo into a 1590A for a while now.  Looking around at different schematics, I found the Anharmonic tremolo on DIYstompboxes.  This is my working up of that circuit.  It has controls for Rate and Depth, as well as a frequency control and switch for just modulating the treble content or all of the signal.  The frequency control runs off of a 100k A dual gang pot.  There is also a jumper inside to go from Sine to Square wave.
1964 Hypnos by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

T-1000 - The first circuit I made a fabbed PCB for was the Tortenmann TA-100 overdrive.  It wasn't perfect, but it worked.  So this is me revisiting that circuit and cramming it into a 1590A.  This is a cool sounding lower gain OD, pretty amp like.  I liken it to the Colorsound Overdriver, where it gets some nice boosting of the signal, but if you crank the gain, you can get some nice crunch out of it.
1960 T-1000 by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

Adonis - This is a 2-in-1 someone mentioned on a thread in TGP about pedals you wished people had made.  Analogman has the Sunlion Rangemaster and Fuzz Face, but someone wondered why there wasn't a Rangemaster and Prince of Tone combo pedal.  So here it is.  Standard Rangemaster with a switch for the range, and a Prince of Tone style OD.  I wanted to include an order switch, but couldn't find the right spot to place it.  I like this pedal, the Rangemaster boosting of the POT gives it that little extra that I sometimes wish it had.  (And yes, I know, its not a 1590A, I felt like branching out  ;D )
1958 Adonis by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

Groove King - This has been one of my white whales.  It is based on the MXR Envelope Filter.  I have made probably 4-5 different prototypes trying to get this circuit right.  Finally I was able to make a board with no mistakes.  This one has a trimpot to be able to adjust the bias so it will work with both vintage and current production chips, a common problem people run into on this pedal.  It sounds pretty good for an envelope filter, maybe a little quiet, but still gets some good quack.
1959 Groove King by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

LaceSensor

midwayfair

skyled

How do you like the Anharmonic Tremolo? I've been thinking about making one but with stereo for extra craziness.