News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lovetone re-enters the mainstream (kinda)

Started by LaceSensor, September 26, 2019, 05:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Muadzin on September 29, 2019, 07:12:04 AM
I can see the newbies wanting to clone a dirtbox first, as those are kinda easy to troubleshoot, but what's the excuse of all the professional pedal builders? There's like a gazillion fuzz and OD pedals out there, 99% of them a variation on one of only a couple of themes. The world doesn't need yet another fuzz/OD pedal. They all sound the same anyway. Is Lovetone too hard to clone for all these professionals?

Just for a small comparison of the market, let's ask Brian what his top selling PCBs are. I'm gonna bet that it is in the Fuzz/OD side of the house.

The point I am making is that the world may not need "yet another fuzz/OD" however, they always seem to be the best selling boxes/PCBs out there. What does that tell you?

madbean

The modulation stuff tends to sell best which is also where I am focusing the most attention. But I should check and see what the current #1 is. It's been a long time since I looked.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: madbean on September 29, 2019, 11:42:32 AM
The modulation stuff tends to sell best which is also where I am focusing the most attention. But I should check and see what the current #1 is. It's been a long time since I looked.

Interesting. I find it so weird that the majority of help and build posts that I see on various DIY sights seem to involve dirt pedals. Maybe they are harder to build than modulation/delays?

thorpy6

Pro
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 29, 2019, 11:48:44 AM
Quote from: madbean on September 29, 2019, 11:42:32 AM

Probably cos if you have the confidence to attempt delays/modulation you are probably more seasoned and less likely to require help..... not always though I guess...

Interesting. I find it so weird that the majority of help and build posts that I see on various DIY sights seem to involve dirt pedals. Maybe they are harder to build than modulation/delays?

skyled

Hasn't (nearly) everything JHS released been a clone of something anyway? Devi Ever had a topic on Diystompboxes listing most of the JHS pedals and what they are clones of. I guess there are only so many different ways to make a fuzz/od.

Muadzin

Quote from: Matmosphere on September 29, 2019, 10:10:20 AM
I can totally get why Dan Coggins is upset. A lot of other industries don't work this way at all, even the record industry. If he had, for example, written a hit song then anyone who wanted to rerelease that song would have to pay him royalties and give credit.

Lovetone really stands out because of how creative and innovative their designs were, and I think people in DIY and the industry respect that. I do think this would obviously been a different story if Dan had gotten a heads up before hand.

If pedals and circuits were as ridiculously copyrights protected as music and digital media we might not even be having this conversation as there might not even be a Madbean Pedals. Or forum.

QuoteUltimately though, if Dan and thorpy are going to rerelease some of these pedals this whole JHS thing could be good for drumming up some press for them. Pedal buyers listen to Josh, and him doing this is gonna bring some more attention to Dan's work.

I suspect what probably stopped most people from getting Lovetone clones is that they are ridiculously tweakable and pot and switch infested. Ultimately I believe people much prefer a one knob phaser like the Phase 90 or Small Stone over the Doppleganger. Stick too many knobs and switches on a pedal and you'll scare some people off.

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 29, 2019, 10:54:25 AM
Just for a small comparison of the market, let's ask Brian what his top selling PCBs are. I'm gonna bet that it is in the Fuzz/OD side of the house.

The point I am making is that the world may not need "yet another fuzz/OD" however, they always seem to be the best selling boxes/PCBs out there. What does that tell you?

It's not my fault people keep buying into the hype of yet another fuzz/OD pedal. X has just released a new Y fuzz/OD! I gots to have it! Said pretty much EVERYONE on TGP.  And I am guilty of that too, I have whole banana boxes full of fuzz and OD pedals that I built. Which is why I can say that they pretty much all sound the same to me. And I don't blame Madbean and all the other PCB sellers for catering to that market. Where there is demand, supply will always follow.

Quote from: skyled on September 29, 2019, 02:46:00 PM
Hasn't (nearly) everything JHS released been a clone of something anyway? Devi Ever had a topic on Diystompboxes listing most of the JHS pedals and what they are clones of. I guess there are only so many different ways to make a fuzz/od.

JHS has always been synonymous with (slightly) modded clones. Almost every thread where people asked if anyone knew the schematic to a JHS pedal the reply was almost always just take pedal X and change value Y to Z. I really dig his pedal and guitar vids though, he's really found a nice fun entertaining style.

LaceSensor

Heres the internals.
SMD as expected. I wonder if they are BC549C transistors (well, 849C)

matmosphere

Quote from: Muadzin on September 30, 2019, 03:30:53 AM
Quote from: Matmosphere on September 29, 2019, 10:10:20 AM
I can totally get why Dan Coggins is upset. A lot of other industries don't work this way at all, even the record industry. If he had, for example, written a hit song then anyone who wanted to rerelease that song would have to pay him royalties and give credit.

Lovetone really stands out because of how creative and innovative their designs were, and I think people in DIY and the industry respect that. I do think this would obviously been a different story if Dan had gotten a heads up before hand.

If pedals and circuits were as ridiculously copyrights protected as music and digital media we might not even be having this conversation as there might not even be a Madbean Pedals. Or forum.

Yeah, I get that, but part of me thinks that's okay. The other side is that we might have more stuff like Run Off Groove, or Escobedo's Circuit snippets, and that would be plenty fine by me. It would surely be a smaller community though, which would be ashamed.

madbean

Well dang I drew up a schematic only to realize I was looking at the Brown Source not the Big Cheese! The BC looks a lot more interesting.

skyled

Quote from: madbean on October 01, 2019, 09:20:27 AM
Well dang I drew up a schematic only to realize I was looking at the Brown Source not the Big Cheese! The BC looks a lot more interesting.

Doug Hammond did a version of the Brown Source called the Tone Source. Supposedly it's a little more versatile but from what I understand, the effect is still very subtle.

LaceSensor

Doug hammonds tone source is pretty neat actually
I like the "twank" mode a lot

digi2t

deleted

madbean

Quote from: digi2t on October 14, 2019, 04:40:13 PM
Quote from: skyled on September 27, 2019, 04:42:21 PM
Quote from: dawson on September 27, 2019, 11:41:03 AM
So if the "Big Cheese" is cloned as the "Cheese Ball".. will JHS release a Lovetone envelope filter clone called the "Big Meat?"

It's gotta be the Meaty Balls

BOOM!

The JHS version will be called Ballmeat because that's even worse.

Muadzin

Chef's salty chocolate balls would also have been acceptable.