News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My recent Indonesia trip! What a journeys and I’m back!

Started by fair.child, September 29, 2019, 02:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muadzin

The Indo Dutch supplied a lot of musicians when they returned to the Netherlands. There were a lot of what they called Indo rock bands in the Netherlands in the 50's and 60's, and the genre still somewhat exists to this day. No Indonesian market is complete without an indo rock band. At one point my father and all his brothers were in bands in their youth, and he and his younger brother had a very successful coverband in the 70's. It's one of my earliest memories as a kid that I was at one of their rehearsals. And of all their children half still do something with music today.

And yes, Indonesian food is the best. There are lots of Indonesian restaurants and shops in the Netherlands. Together with Chinese food it was the first 'ethnic food' that was popularized in the Netherlands, long before non-Western food, or even non-Dutch food became trendy. Although it probably tastes completely different from the real thing due to different Western tastes.

Quote from: pickdropper on October 01, 2019, 04:40:25 AM
It seems that there's plenty of Netherlands blood on this board.  My father was born in Rotterdam. 

Welkom bij de club! We have fries with mayonaise, stroopwafels and raw herring at the Dutch side and Nasi Goreng and spek cake at the Indo side of the buffet table.

pickdropper

Quote from: fair.child on October 01, 2019, 09:29:46 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on October 01, 2019, 07:36:13 PM
Quote from: fair.child on October 01, 2019, 10:24:55 AM

@pickdropper

Hail to the dutch mill!

Haha.

On a side note, my grandfather actually spent some time in Jakarta.  Not quite a vacation as it was WWII and he was fighting with the Dutch-Indonesian army.

Also, you know that Eddie Van Halen mom is Indonesian, don't you? His dad is Dutch, so yeah technically Eddie and Alex are half blood Asians.

http://www.indischhistorisch.nl/derde-pagina/amerindos-2/amerindos-eddie-and-alex-van-halen-indo-dutch-rockers/

That would've been a better band name than Van Halen.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pickdropper

Quote from: Muadzin on October 02, 2019, 03:14:10 AM
The Indo Dutch supplied a lot of musicians when they returned to the Netherlands. There were a lot of what they called Indo rock bands in the Netherlands in the 50's and 60's, and the genre still somewhat exists to this day. No Indonesian market is complete without an indo rock band. At one point my father and all his brothers were in bands in their youth, and he and his younger brother had a very successful coverband in the 70's. It's one of my earliest memories as a kid that I was at one of their rehearsals. And of all their children half still do something with music today.

And yes, Indonesian food is the best. There are lots of Indonesian restaurants and shops in the Netherlands. Together with Chinese food it was the first 'ethnic food' that was popularized in the Netherlands, long before non-Western food, or even non-Dutch food became trendy. Although it probably tastes completely different from the real thing due to different Western tastes.

Quote from: pickdropper on October 01, 2019, 04:40:25 AM
It seems that there's plenty of Netherlands blood on this board.  My father was born in Rotterdam. 

Welkom bij de club! We have fries with mayonaise, stroopwafels and raw herring at the Dutch side and Nasi Goreng and spek cake at the Indo side of the buffet table.

We buy Stroopwafels all the time.  I was introduced them by a Dutch fellow visiting for a business meeting.  I was shocked that United Airlines offered them on my last domestic flight.  I guess they are getting more popular in the U.S.

No on the pickled fish, however.  I'm hard of herring.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

287m

@Muadzin

dont forget the pioneer, Tielman Brothers. Used to hear story about them, almost everyday in my childhood

Woah, still same recipe Nasi Goreng? I bet you like Rendang and Sate too? and drink Ronde, sekoteng, etc

fun fact, some band who tour outside Indonesia, always have stock instant noodles, Indomie. hahaha

lars

Quote from: 287m on October 02, 2019, 04:55:29 AM
dont forget the pioneer, Tielman Brothers. Used to hear story about them, almost everyday in my childhood
I've only recently heard about and watched some of the Teilman Brothers music. Pioneers, yes they were. Underrated, massively.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

bamslam69

Quote from: Bret608 on September 30, 2019, 06:08:08 AM
That's awesome! The MP-1 is a classic. That's cool that you were able to fix it. I'm guessing the tropical climate is not easy on your gear.

When I traveled in Indonesia in 2002, I noticed that musicians there are highly skilled at '80s covers!  :)
Would that be to cater for all the Aussies? If so I bet they'd have some Farnsey, Barnsey and Chisel in their repertoire.

fair.child

Talking about Stroopwafel, you actually can get them from Costco. Good morning snack with a cup of tea.