Main Menu

Mammoth Electronics Acquisition

Started by TeleCrunch, October 05, 2019, 09:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph Null

Quote from: pickdropper on October 08, 2019, 05:06:21 AM
Quote from: somnif on October 07, 2019, 09:25:52 PM
Quote from: Willybomb on October 07, 2019, 09:21:14 PM
It was confirmed in the DIYstompboxes FB group today that they're changing hands.

I'm not terribly surprised. If you read the linkdin profile of the founder, this is the 3rd or 4th company he's done this with (using all manner of resume speak of course).

Hope whoever picks the company up keeps an online storefront active (and actually hires some decent managers to run the place)

On a plus side, they could potentially be more profitable with the simple change of correctly fulfilling orders. They must spend a significant amount of money on reshipping incorrect orders.

No. I think they don't bother after the second time. I had an order that got messed up. The second shipment included some stuff they missed and some more stuff I didn't order. After the second shipment they stopped responding to my emails.

matmosphere

That would be cool, but I would think whatever is going down was already in motion by then. That post is only a few weeks old, I suppose we'll find out soon.

I'm guessing it was bought by one of the companies that build pedals for people like Wampler, because, from my understanding, supplying to those companies was a big part of what mammoth has always done.

Maybe the love my switches guy bought it, that would be pretty sweet. that guy seems pretty cool.

aion

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 08, 2019, 09:06:25 AM
I'm guessing it was bought by one of the companies that build pedals for people like Wampler, because, from my understanding, supplying to those companies was a big part of what mammoth has always done.

Very possible. I had heard awhile back years that All-Pedal (manufacturer for Wampler and others, same company as Warehouse Guitar Speakers) was looking to expand into parts sales as well, so I wonder if this is how they're doing it.

TeleCrunch

Adding to my initial post, my last order included a painted enclosure with a major blemish that should never have been shipped. I contacted support again to see if i could get a discount or refund for the blem, and the wrong part, and there's been no further correspondence for a couple of weeks.
I wouldn't order anything from them now. Normally, they would rectify the usual bad orders, but the lack of email communication and public transparency about the state of their business, even while actively taking orders, is not good.
No Squid Pro Quo

skyled

I ordered from them one time for 2 enclosures they stocked that were unusual sizes. This was back when they still sold them through Amazon so the shipping was much cheaper than on their website. They only sent one of the enclosures, so I messaged them and they immediately rush shipped the missing enclosure. So, not a perfect situation, but at the time, they definitely made sure to fix the mistake quickly.

harryklippton

I got an email today from Mammoth that they've been acquired and will go out of business. They're fulfilling orders in the queue but that's it.

benny_profane

Confirmed via email announcement:

QuoteThat's All Folks

It's been an absolute privilege to serve everyone for the past 10 years. We've been able to contribute to so many amazing projects over the years, and have gotten to work with great people in the process.

With a heavy heart, we're writing to tell you that Mammoth Electronics is in final negotiations of being acquired and will no longer continue our current business model beyond Nov. 5th.

Effective immediately, we will not be taking any more orders for parts or enclosures but we will continue to serve our current customers with orders in the queue. All orders currently in our system that are still in the queue will ship no later than November 5th.

Parts orders are currently in a 10 business day lead time. If we are out of stock of any item, customers will be notified and given the option to replace the items in the order or get a refund.

Thank you for everything.

- The Mammoth Team

Aentons

So where's your money going on who's buying them? Mouser, Tayda, Arrow, Digikey, Farnell, Jameco, Pololu, Small Bear, Facebook, Google......?

benny_profane

Quote from: Aentons on October 14, 2019, 08:41:59 AM
So where's your money going on who's buying them? Mouser, Tayda, Arrow, Digikey, Farnell, Jameco, Pololu, Small Bear, Facebook, Google......?

All-Pedal is my guess.

HamSandwich

Quote from: Aentons on October 14, 2019, 08:41:59 AM

I'm going to say Not Small Bear or BLMS based on their responses over on DIYStompboxes. I think we are a thorn in the side of Mouser and Arrow. I'm going to go for an oddball - Stewmac.

Muadzin

Quote from: HamSandwich on October 14, 2019, 09:07:19 AM
I'm going to say Not Small Bear or BLMS based on their responses over on DIYStompboxes. I think we are a thorn in the side of Mouser and Arrow. I'm going to go for an oddball - Stewmac.

You can't just drop a bomb like that and not explain as to what happened on DIYStompboxes. Not everyone goes there.

EBK

Quote from: Muadzin on October 15, 2019, 12:16:48 AM

You can't just drop a bomb like that and not explain as to what happened on DIYStompboxes. Not everyone goes there.
Nothing dramatic.  Steve and Lawrence just reassured everyone that their respective businesses were sticking around and healthy.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

matmosphere

And also that they wouldn't be expanding to custom drilled and painted enclosures.

sjaustin

Quote from: Muadzin on October 15, 2019, 12:16:48 AM

Here ya go: https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=121714.msg1164500#msg1164500

pickdropper

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 15, 2019, 03:40:15 AM
And also that they wouldn't be expanding to custom drilled and painted enclosures.

This is the big gap in the market, I think.  While I prefer PPP for powder coat enclosures, their 25 box minimum is tough if you just need one or two boxes of a given size/color.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper