News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Beamo Laser Cutter

Started by dan.schumaker, October 20, 2019, 12:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

I just saw the kickstarter for this guy.  For the price, it looks like it could be a good option for some of us.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flux-inc/beamo-worlds-smallest-co2-laser-cutter/description

Any laser experts have any thoughts on this?

pickdropper

The thing I'm skeptical about, with all of the cheaper engravers like this and Glowforge is the ventilation.  Laser engravers exhaust noxious fumes.  We moved the FFX laser recently and I made the mistake of running it with a fan (necessary for safety) but without the proper ducting run.  It was surprisingly toxic, just cutting off the powder coat.  I can't fathom cutting something like acrylic without a strong ventilating fan AND a compressor.

Until recently, I was looking for a less expensive option because it was inconvenient to get to ours.  I'm admittedly picky, but I was unable to find one I was powerful enough but that I was willing to have in my home.  I would highly recommend doing a bunch of research on how the ventilation works before spending any money.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pickdropper

On further review, this one does look more promising from a ventilation standpoint.  That's already a significant improvement over the Glowforge.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper