News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What would you consider a "generic" Big Muff?

Started by somnif, October 29, 2019, 02:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

So, my former roommate has commissioned me to make a Big Muff for him to give to his boss as a Christmas gift.

I know absolutely nothing about boss dudes musical tastes, instrument set up, or play style. (I've asked for details but knowing my former roommate I'll likely get an answer amounting to "well his guitar has 6 strings, does that help?")

So I'm left with the quandary of what flavor of BMP to shoot for. Which version is base-level generic?

Any opinions?

EBK

I would refuse the commission without more info, personally.  Sounds like a headache waiting to happen.  Plus, giving a pedal to my boss would be an ethics violation where I work.  Beyond that, I have no actually useful advice except people seem to like Green Russian and Violet Rams Head BMPs.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

somnif

Quote from: EBK on October 29, 2019, 03:26:21 PM
I would refuse the commission without more info, personally.  Sounds like a headache waiting to happen.  Plus, giving a pedal to my boss would be an ethics violation where I work.  Beyond that, I have no actually useful advice except people seem to like Green Russian and Violet Rams Head BMPs.

Considering until last week he lived in his Bosses spare room, I'm not worried about ethics concerns over a pedal in the situation. But yeah I do want to know what sorta tone to aim for. Is he looking for Siamese Dream or Comfortably Numb? Glycerine or 10am Automatic? 70s groove or 90s grunge?

Then again, as the saying goes, a Muff's a Muff, so perhaps I shouldn't worry quite so much.

jimilee

Probably just a triangle or NY Muff like the big silver ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

Make the graphics on the pedal say "I QUIT!"
Offer to gift wrap it so your former roommate doesn't have to.  :P
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

spin

I'd make a rams head with the preface of 'you get what you get' due to the lack of information.

somnif

So turns out boss dude borrowed a BMP from someone and fell in love with it, hence this thing starting. I asked my friend to take a picture of the borrowed pedal so I could get an idea of what he was working with.

This is what he sent me.

Love the guy but good lord is he difficult to deal with at times....

EBK

;D
I love a good mystery.  I suppose that might be a good enough pic for a BMP expert to narrow it down.  At least it is progress.  Made in NYC USA, does it say there?

A V9 NYC, perhaps? A V10?

thesmokingman

Looks like the NYC v9 to me ... the frantone muff
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

somnif

Quote from: EBK on October 29, 2019, 05:48:20 PM
;D
I love a good mystery.  I suppose that might be a good enough pic for a BMP expert to narrow it down.  At least it is progress.  Made in NYC USA, does it say there?

A V9 NYC, perhaps? A V10?

Given the hex nut I'm guessing one of the V9 family, though I suppose it could also be a V6 just to complicate matters. At least it narrows things down a bit!

matmosphere

I'd say do a violet rams head or a green Russian, but yeah. That's probably a current one.

Tremster

Boss man doesn't seem very demanding, "Big Muff" is enough, so he now has what he wants. Maybe you should build some other fuzz now - it will be a nice surprise and your friend might appreciate that.

juansolo

Quote from: somnif on October 29, 2019, 03:52:14 PMIs he looking for Siamese Dream or Comfortably Numb? Glycerine or 10am Automatic? 70s groove or 90s grunge?

So ICBM, or (likely) a very early Rams Head, or a Triangle (of which there are loads) ;)

Quote from: somnif on October 29, 2019, 03:52:14 PMThen again, as the saying goes, a Muff's a Muff, so perhaps I shouldn't worry quite so much.

The most versitile muff I've ever come across is the 71 Triangle that's on my spreadsheet (you can build it on most DIY boards). You can get a lot of range out of that.

FWIW they're a piece of piss to trace so if you can get some high quality pics of the internals from several angles, it wouldn't be hard to clone the specific one he likes.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Muadzin

For guitar you can't go wrong with the Violet Ram, if the dude plays bass you can't go wrong with a Green Russian. Whichever version you pick, be sure to include a Skreddy style mids switch on them. Those make the instant difference between disappearing into a mix and bam! There you are again! Mids switches should be mandatory on Muffs IMHO.

dawson

Quote from: juansolo on October 30, 2019, 01:52:56 AM
The most versitile muff I've ever come across is the 71 Triangle

I haven't dug into more that 5-6 muffs, musically speaking, but I can certainly agree that my Triangle build has got a much higher number of great knob settings than any other I've come across.

Quote from: juansolo on October 30, 2019, 01:52:56 AM
a piece of piss

^I'd very much like to know what this saying means so that I might use it in America to embellish my diction. If it means that a task is easy to do, it would seem to be interchangeable with our "piece of cake," but without the risk of diabetes.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.