News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What would you consider a "generic" Big Muff?

Started by somnif, October 29, 2019, 02:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

On second thought, it sounds like a good excuse to build that crazy board from pedalpcb that does it all

juansolo

Quote from: dawson on October 30, 2019, 10:16:05 AM
Quote from: juansolo on October 30, 2019, 01:52:56 AM
a piece of piss

^I'd very much like to know what this saying means so that I might use it in America to embellish my diction. If it means that a task is easy to do, it would seem to be interchangeable with our "piece of cake," but without the risk of diabetes.

Those two are pretty interchangable.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

nzCdog

dawson

Quote from: juansolo on October 30, 2019, 11:01:26 AM
Those two are pretty interchangable.
Quote from: nzCdog on October 30, 2019, 11:22:17 AM
Depends if you're taking the piss or not?  ;D
Thanks for verifying! I'd hate to ruin an attempt to sound cultured because I'd misread your context.

Erm..sorry about all the piss in your Muff thread somniff-have you made any progress in your decision making? I'm curious what you're going to land on as THE one.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

somnif

Quote from: dawson on October 30, 2019, 09:05:58 PM
Erm..sorry about all the piss in your Muff thread somniff-have you made any progress in your decision making? I'm curious what you're going to land on as THE one.

I'm still hoping my friend can give me a few more details about what music style/tone the pedal recipient is looking for before I finalize anything. I have a couple muff PCBs knocking around I could build on, only tricky bit would be squeezing in all the 1uF caps of the V9 if we go the direct clone route (unless I use MLCCs I suppose).

Surprisingly enough my local electronics store has 2n5133's on the shelf, so if I want to go with a Triangle/Rams Head design, those are easy enough to source (and cheaper than Smallbear)

matmosphere

somnif

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 30, 2019, 10:46:21 PM
Wow, you have a local parts store?

Sort of? Its more an electrician's supply place, but they have like 60 years of random crap sequestered in their backroom shelving, and set up an online storefront for it. They'll go pull stock for you if you walk in though. Most of it is NTE/ECG stock, but they have a bizarre selection overall (most of which is wildly overpriced) https://www.elliottelectronicsupply.com/

Aentons

Sounds like he is saying that he doesn't care... I would have some fun and send him a 3knob Bazz Fuss and never let on that it's not a muff. Call it the Biff Mug as an inside joke

benny_profane

I think that this question is interesting in the sense that defining a 'generic' or 'standard' BMP is interesting. From a commission consideration, I don't think you should even bother without more information. If the ask is 'just give me a regular BMP' then I think you can be creative and go with some of the aforementioned suggestions without worrying about it. Most folks don't know that there are many, many variations of the circuit. But, if the ask is 'I played this one and I want that,' asking you to play detective to find the exact version with sparse information is fraught venture.

My guess is it's gonna be an NY muff, though. My vote for 'generic' could swing either violet ram's head or '71 triangle.

somnif

Ok, breadboarded the '71 Triangle and think I'm going to go with that, with a couple parts exceptions.

Picked up 4 fairchild 5133's and honestly they make it sound a bit... gassy. Bass response was kind of muddy and it had this almost gated quality that I wasn't terribly fond of. Grabbed a handful of tayda 5088's from my box just to test and it woke right up. Low end tightened up, fuzz smoothed out, and the response "feel" sharpened. Hell, honestly think I prefer this a bit to the stripboard Gilmore version I built oh so long ago.

Granted, placebo effect may be in full force, I'm playing on a bedroom floor with an overstuffed cheap breadboarded circuit, god only knows what a slight wiggle may have done here.