News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EarthQuaker Dispatch Master DIY Equivalent

Started by fair.child, January 06, 2018, 06:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fair.child

I've been tempted to buy EarthQuaker Dispatch Master. It's serving what I need in terms of playing delay and reverb together in a box. Just put out this for a question, is there any equivalent/similar or even better DIY project to follow up with these functions together in 1590B box?

Well, the 1590B box seems very demanding but the smaller the better for the pedalboard. If it's 1590BB, I still want to do follow and deeper research into it.

UPDATED:

I think I am ready to breadboard it and run a small batch of the prototype. Thanks to BuGG PedalPCB for helping me out to figure SpinCAD stuff out.

Here's what I came out with.

fair.child

Inside of dispatch master. It looks like there is FV-1 chip there and one TL074C. There are two IC's left I can't identify them.

somnif

The little 8 pin thing next to the FV-1 is a memory chip storing the delay/reverb program. (Oddly enough I don't see the crystal, maybe its on the other side of the board.)

As for the 16pin* on the left, I'm not sure. I'll see if I can dig something up.

edit: I cant count, the chip I couldn't ID has 2 more pins.

fair.child

Quote from: somnif on January 06, 2018, 06:53:22 PM
The little 8 pin thing next to the FV-1 is a memory chip storing the delay/reverb program. (Oddly enough I don't see the crystal, maybe its on the other side of the board.)

As for the 14pin on the right, I'm not sure. I'll see if I can dig something up.

14 pins chip on the right is the TL074. Oh, I guess the FV-1 8 pins memory chip is going to be 24LC32A. Plus, you were right PPCB carries the FV-1. I might order it from them for the Reverb/Glimmer project. For sure, this is going to be for a long run in development.

fair.child

2019, continue the journey. Seems EQD updated the board. Majority of the components are SMD and added relay bypass using ATTiny.

2016 board and top mounted jacks.

somnif

Ahhhh, I see now why I couldn't spot a crystal on the first board, it uses a cd4049 for timing (ala this: https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/fv1x/). That was the mystery chip I couldn't ID.

fair.child

Correct, Bugg also gave me some tips to do some tracing. I'm going to start trace this today and post schematic pretty soon.

bsoncini

Is there a way to read the eeprom? Or are you planning to program it yourself ?

fair.child

I guess program it myself. Apparently bugg pedalpcb has the schematic. He mentioned it's quite standard for the layout. All the magic lies on the SpinCAD. So yeah, I think tinker the SpinCAD would be next step. I can start to learn from Headtrip and try to understand the logic the man program it myself.

bsoncini

Cool. I just started playing around with spincad a few weeks ago. I think I'm gonna start a thread for spincad where people can offer tips examples etc on how to get started 

fair.child

Completed the board design and ready to move on to test and breadboard before finalizing to the fab!

If anyone interested to order the board from me hit me up!

bsoncini

Awesome. Do you mind sharing the patch you made?

fair.child

Sure, I'll share when the project is complete. I'll say it's 70% complete. I want to do several designs (at least two approaches) on this. One is baseline copy and second is control improvement out of it.

Plan to sell the board as well. Now gotta think a sexy name!

Like 911, Lord Agile, Post Master, etc

bsoncini

Quote from: fair.child on February 03, 2019, 11:43:10 AM
Sure, I'll share when the project is complete. I'll say it's 70% complete. I want to do several designs (at least two approaches) on this. One is baseline copy and second is control improvement out of it.

Plan to sell the board as well. Now gotta think a sexy name!

Like 911, Lord Agile, Post Master, etc

Ever thought of adding a switch to the board to have their normal algorithm plus 2 more of your choice or 7 more if using a rotary?  Or is there other differences you are talking about than just the algorithms like in the analog part of the circuit?

I imagine getting the reverb part of the circuit correct is the hard part.  Good reverbs use a lot of the memory on the fv1 plus a delay on top of that.  Looking forward to see what you come up with

MrHaroldA

Quote from: fair.child on January 06, 2018, 06:37:39 PMUPDATED:

I think I am ready to breadboard it and run a small batch of the prototype. Thanks to BuGG PedalPCB for helping me out to figure SpinCAD stuff out.

Here's what I came out with.[/url]

Hey fair.child,

Do you have a sharper image of that schematic available? I'd like to add a 'kill dry' to my original Dispatch Master (v1 / 2011) and not all markings are readable on your schematic.