News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Testing & calibration

Started by Thewintersoldier, November 16, 2019, 05:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

How do you like to test pedals and calibrate them? I like to lay on the floor and listen thru headphones and dial them in. Amongst my spaghetti pile of cords and unboxed circuits I feel at one with the electrons. The warmth of my tubes glowing and the fan blowing from my two notes torpedo in my hair makes me hone in on those rock star tones and gives my builds more mojo. In all fairness, I prefer the headphones thru my main amp so I can dial them in thru my rig so they sound best thru my amp. It's my ritual and with the attenuation of the headphones I can block out the wife and kids!
Who the hell is Bucky?

alanp

Flying wires from the PCB, going into my test rig, and that going to either the guitar amp, or the output mixer on my modular. The switch selects between either the device under test, or the signal probe.

For test signals into a module, I use either my Madbean Loophole, or patch up something appropriate from the modular.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: alanp on November 16, 2019, 07:53:28 PM

Flying wires from the PCB, going into my test rig, and that going to either the guitar amp, or the output mixer on my modular. The switch selects between either the device under test, or the signal probe.

For test signals into a module, I use either my Madbean Loophole, or patch up something appropriate from the modular.
I like your style 👍
Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

I've been using my test rig, a little beater guitar I made from a GFS strat kit, and my bench amp.  The amp is a little solid state Harmony that I shoe horned a 12" speaker in. It's very neutral in terms of tone and quiet so it's a fair platform to get an idea of the true sound of the pedal. It even breaks up very tube-like to test boosters.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Timko

I have a parts Jazzmaster I got in a pedal trade, a modded crate 5w tube amp, and one of the JMK Testing Rig PCBs that sits in my build room.  Combine that with a Multimeter and a soon to be purchased Oscilloscope, and I can test everything under the sun.

Govmnt_Lacky

BEWARE!!! Heresy to follow......

I do not have a test rig at all. Unless you include my guitar, amp, and cables. I also do not test my builds outside of the box! *GASP*

I have probably had 3 builds in the last decade that have needed "extensive" troubleshooting so, the risk is minimal to the rewards in my case.

As for "dialing them in" I typically use an oscope, sine wave generator, and DMM. All done at a work bench prior to plugging them in for the first time.

Aentons

It's amateur hour over here but I just use a breadboard with terminal blocks with a bypass looper