News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Looking for details about a Japanese overdrive

Started by somnif, November 21, 2019, 11:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

So, I can't help myself. I see a pedal I know nothing about, I want to break out a shovel and dig till I know it inside and out. Found this thing via memes, basically. Yuki of the band D_Drive is an excellent guitarist, and her little instagram vids and youtube clips frequently make the rounds of imgur and reddit and what not.

Her rig is pretty bloody simple. A Boss GT-1000 multi-unit, and an overdrive, run into a marshall half stack.

Its the "TDC-008 Mild Blues" by TDC-YOU. As far as I can tell this is a Japanese brand for the Japanese market pretty much exclusively, so can't find a damn thing about it in english.

http://www.tdc-effector.com/008.html

Things I know:
-Current draw of 8.5mA according to their page

-Has a 4558 chip

-Germanium Transistors(? not sure if this statement was about this pedal specifically or the companies pedals in general, I don't speak japanese)

-5 knobs: Volume, Gain, LF, Mid Freq, MF, HF

-35,000 yen price tag (~320usd)

My first guess, as always, when presented with a mystery overdrive, is assume its a Tubescreamer. Entirely possible here, 8.5mA is in the right range. The name of the thing made me think Bluesbreaker or maybe a BD-2, but current doesn't really match either of them (Bang on for the Bluesbreaker 2, but why would anyone remake that thing?).

Anyone ever heard of this thing?

Govmnt_Lacky

Its odd that the pedal is a Japanese product and only sold in the Japanese market yet, all the wording is in English  ::)

alanp

English was considered "cool" for quite awhile. Pocari Sweat was supposed to be Pocari Sweet, initially.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Aentons

Not sure if it will do you much good but Google Translate has helped me in the past with something similar. Translate does foreign language websites (i think)automatically in chrome. see screen shot. "Google Lens" can even translate the text in images as well

The Maxon 01 series was Japan only and was all English except for the instruction manuals. Using this method helped me track down one of the settings on a DM-01

Aentons

Here is an example of Google Lens on my phone translating a PDF on my desktop screen

benny_profane

Quote from: Aentons on November 22, 2019, 12:02:11 PM
Here is an example of Google Lens on my phone translating a PDF on my desktop screen

Ah yes, the hair end die-cast case and rubber stove do indeed provide excellent stability.

287m

why my mind think about fusion of timmy and barber. Or like wild screamer from trueVAL, with tone stack in middle circuit.

add
after watch Liverpool, remember a circuit from diablochris called postfontaine. Sound good!

lars

I think this is very helpful; Google translate pulled this gem out of the webpage:
"It's literally a MILD distortion, but it's hard to get this MILD distortion from the pedal."

(my head exploded)

This was a good one too:
"The more you play, the hotter your chest."

(not sure people should go around saying that to customers)
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....