News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Standout Relay

Started by chongmagic, November 26, 2019, 06:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chongmagic

I finished up a Standout last night, and it works great except that it is always on. The relay seems to be stuck in an on position, which is better than off I guess. All of the voltages for the pic and opamps look fine, and the LED turns on and off with the footswitch. I ran an audio probe and can get a dry signal from the relay on pin 3 if I recall correctly. I did use a TQ2-L-5V, whereas the build docs call for a TQ2-5V. I am wondering if the relay is bad, and I dread the thought of unsoldering it to replace it.

benny_profane

I doubt that the relay is bad, however, you unfortunately used the wrong part. From the build doc:

QuoteThe relay for the Dragon, Pinball and Standout is the non-latching version of the same relay used in the other VFE projects. Be sure to use the included Mouser link to get the right part!

Those three projects use the TQ2-5V rather than the TQ2-L-5V used in VFE projects with the switching board. Best of luck.

chongmagic

Yeah, I ordered the non latching relays and found one I had already and didn't bother to double check before I installed it. Ugh.

chongmagic

How big of an ordeal would it be to desolder and resolder the right relay? Is it feasible.

benny_profane

Quote from: chongmagic on November 26, 2019, 07:35:32 AM

How big of an ordeal would it be to desolder and resolder the right relay? Is it feasible.

Since it has eight pins, it will be more difficult than a resistor or a capacitor. If you have a good desoldering method (e.g., solder sucker) and technique, you should be able to though. You might have to end up destroying the relay in the process if it's particularly tenacious.

chongmagic

I have an electric solder sucker that I will try, I am pretty sure the relay will be fried afterwards. I usually just take one lug at a time, then let it cool down to avoid causing damage to the solder pads and surrounding components.

gordo

I did exactly the same thing. The pins are much thinner that the holes so desoldering isn't as bad as it would see. Be careful with heat but those little relays are pretty tough.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?