Author Topic: Eagle vs Diptrace  (Read 272 times)

jkokura

• Global Moderator
  • Electron Doctor
  • Jacob - SK, Canada
    • View Profile
    • JMK PCBs
Eagle vs Diptrace
« on: November 29, 2019, 06:49:20 PM »
Hey guys. I am looking for help with understanding some of the differences between Eagle and Diptrace. It used to be the only resource for PCB making on a Mac was Eagle, so I've only ever used Eagle. Now I see that Diptrace has a Mac version, yay! I love using Eagle, and I'm good with how it works. I'm known for having some Eagle tutorials out there, and I'm glad I've helped so many. However, I've been stuck using an ancient license and limited to the 100x80mm board size. A couple of my clients might want me to make larger boards. So here's a few questions I have.

- Does diptrace really only care about pin numbers? I can have a really large board, but as long as I stay within the pin count I'm fine?
- How intuitive is it to switch over? Am I gonna struggle to export my Gerbers and images for my Build Docs, or is it pretty much the same?
- How is it to import/use my old Eagle Libraries?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gordo

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • Project Website
Re: Eagle vs Diptrace
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 08:43:24 PM »
The subscription license isn't that bad for the board size is it?  I haven't pushed the limit on board size.

imjonwain

• Diode Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 10:52:38 PM »
I use and like Eagle but am slowing moving toward KiCad.  Diptrace to me seems like a company likely to disappear at some point.

alanp

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • http://alanp.info/
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 11:24:37 AM »
The very close connection between the schematic and board files are part of what I like in Eagle. I haven't seen anything even close in any of the free software.
"Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
- Cohen the Barbarian, on what is greatest in life
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Lubdar

• Solder Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 10:22:11 PM »
I don't think anything is wrong with using both for whatever situation works best.

I have been using Diptrace for the past 5 years.  I am probably going to shift towards eagle once I can a lot time to watch Jacob's tutorials....

I have never tried to see just how large of a board I could make. However, with the trial version I have hit the pin count.  But if you get creative with how you set up your schematic "Across boards"

(--c^.^)--c

imjonwain

• Diode Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 07:56:04 PM »
I think Diptrace will also give free or discounted licenses to hobbyists who don't profit on a case by case basis if you email them.