News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A true story about fluorescent lighting

Started by madbean, December 09, 2019, 03:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I have one of those circular fluorescent bulbs in my magnifier. Everybody knows these can make things noisy so often when I am working on something on the breadboard/prototype I will turn it off when playing. The other day I was working on something fuzzy and something new happened. The bulb did not cause any noise in this case but it actually reduced the amount of fuzz and made it darker sounding. So, just a word of warning - without shielding things can get gnarly and always suspect everything!

somnif

This simply reinforces my hypothesis that Fuzzes are voodoo.

EBK

I suppose a pedal with a CFL sticking out of the top is only a little weirder than a pedal with a vacuum tube triode sticking out of the top. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Aristatertotle

Quote from: EBK on December 09, 2019, 03:50:42 PM
I suppose a pedal with a CFL sticking out of the top is only a little weirder than a pedal with a vacuum tube triode sticking out of the top.

You're on to something here...

nzCdog

That's funny!  A fluoro proximity lowpass fuzz-filter gizmo!  New project time?   ;D

somnif

Hmm, I do have a couple gas discharge tubes sitting here waiting for me to finish up a project, wonder what madness I could put them towards?

(there is a rumor of "USB Killers" being deposited around campus so I've built a tester.... thingy, and got a couple tiny GDT's cheap as part of it)

Axldeziak

Extra points to build the pedal inside the compact florescent tube.

lars

Quote from: Axldeziak on December 10, 2019, 07:07:26 AM
Extra points to build the pedal inside the compact florescent tube.
1up if you build a fuzz with a Tesla coil in it. Then you can show that fluorescent light who's boss.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....