News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tell me about the Orange Squeezer/Cupcake

Started by Rich_S, July 28, 2010, 07:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_S

I was ordering a FaultLine board for my son the other day, and just before I read on the TDPRI that Mark Knopfler used an Orange Squeezer on "Sultans of Swing".  I don't even know if that's correct, but I was ordering anyway, so what the heck, I ordered a Cupcake.

What sort of compression tones will this thing give me?  I always associated the Orange Squeezer with Jeff Baxter's Steely Dan solos - a squashed, out-of-control totally abused little Fender sound (Boston Rag, anyone?)

I've never really found a compressor I like, though I love what others do with them.  My favorite compressor tones are Andy Summers (script DynaComp), James Honeyman-Scott (Boss CS-1?) and Jamie West-Oram of the Fixx (DynaComp or DBX IIRC).

In the great big galaxy of guitar compressors, where does the Ornage Squeezer/Cupcake fit in?
I am using you; am I amusing you? - Martha Johnson

oldhousescott

Very clean, very unobtrusive until you really crank the sustain. Not a character compressor like the Dyna-comp or Boss. Fairly slow and subtle at moderate settings.

madbean

Definitely very squishy. Compared to a Ross I think it colors the tone more, but in a very musical way. I like it very much.

Here are two soundclips that a customer, Michael Andreoli, kindly recorded for me featuring the Cupcake. I think they will be relative to your interest :)

Sultans of Swing

The Impressions That I Get